Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I first start up the truck in the morning or after it has sat dfor hours everything seems fine until I put it in gear and then I get an engine noise. Have to have the window or door open and if you are parked next to a vehicle it reflects off that and is fairly loud. Anyone else notice that?

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I first start up the truck in the morning or after it has sat dfor hours everything seems fine until I put it in gear and then I get an engine noise. Have to have the window or door open and if you are parked next to a vehicle it reflects off that and is fairly loud. Anyone else notice that?

What year is your vehicle? Does it happen to sound like this?

https://youtu.be/faG4RF9Nqkc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use Redline oil and the tick noise will go away. These HEMIs hate cheap oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If the truck waits til it gets in gear before making the noise, definitely not lifter tick.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8QRywgKYc

If its this noise, it's a Hemi thing. Mine has done this since it was new and my buddy that has a 2016 Laramie has done it since new as well. Had the dealer listen to it and they said it was normal. Had my mechanic that I trust listen to it with a stethoscope and he didn't hear anything bad. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore it.

OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8QRywgKYc

If its this noise, it's a Hemi thing. Mine has done this since it was new and my buddy that has a 2016 Laramie has done it since new as well. Had the dealer listen to it and they said it was normal. Had my mechanic that I trust listen to it with a stethoscope and he didn't hear anything bad. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore it.

That is it. This is a lease and although I got about 11 months to go, I am starting to consider if I want to keep this. My concern was if that is something that will cause harm down the road.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought the same thing but it hasn't gotten any worse in 27000 miles. I have heard many other cars and trucks with Hemi's sound like this on a cold start. Doesn't seem to be the trans as I've heard it with 8speeds and 5/6 speeds. My theory is it's a mild form of piston slap because Hemi pistons have extremely short skirts.

Does it go away after it gets to operation temp?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious as to what that would be. Piston slap? It goes away after the truck is running for a bit.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious as to what that would be. Piston slap? It goes away after the truck is running for a bit.
Same here it completely goes away after the motor warms up.

Piston slap is when the the piston flutters around slightly in the cylinder until it expands enough to smoothly move in the cylinder. Older engines had long skirtted pistons to avoid this but the extra mass limited the max rpms. Early GM 4.8/5.3/6.0 V8s were notorious for piston slap when cold but would still go well over 200k.