Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1269485040416227 After 1 year and 35k later, the engine developed a knocking noise. At first I thought it might be the supercharger so I pulled it last weekend and examined/tested it. It seems fine and with the belt off the charger it's still making the noise. I pulled the flywheel cover off to make sure one of the bolts was not loose. I drained the oil and filtered it with a micro screen funnel and could not see anything odd metallically. It just started making the noise when I stepped out of the truck to check the mail and have not driven it since. When first started cold there is no noise for a few seconds, then random for a few seconds then the regular tapping starts. It has no skip at the exhaust that I can notice. I'm going to pull it this weekend and go back through the entire engine starting this weekend. On one hand it's extremely disappointing; on the other I guess I'm lucky something didn't fail under boosted WOT.

And BTW I know it's filthy! Lol!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1269485040416227 After 1 year and 35k later, the engine developed a knocking noise. At first I thought it might be the supercharger so I pulled it last weekend and examined/tested it. It seems fine and with the belt off the charger it's still making the noise. I pulled the flywheel cover off to make sure one of the bolts was not loose. I drained the oil and filtered it with a micro screen funnel and could not see anything odd metallically. It just started making the noise when I stepped out of the truck to check the mail and have not driven it since. When first started cold there is no noise for a few seconds, then random for a few seconds then the regular tapping starts. It has no skip at the exhaust that I can notice. I'm going to pull it this weekend and go back through the entire engine starting this weekend. On one hand it's extremely disappointing; on the other I guess I'm lucky something didn't fail under boosted WOT.

And BTW I know it's filthy! Lol!
I get "page not available"

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I get "page not available"
Not sure what is going on, I just hit the link on another device and it popped right up. I’ll have to check it out. Anyways it’s a popping sound coming from the back of the engine.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I'd try pulling the belt on the blower and see what happens,if no change,try pulling the front accessory drive belt.If neither change the noise,dig out your mechanics stethascope and see if the noise is coming from the valve covers or the oil pan
It's a single belt set up and when I pulled it, the popping noise was still there. When I used my mechanics stethoscope, you can hear it at all points but it seems to be loudest at the passenger’s rear side of the engine. As much as it pains me, I'm just going to pull it so that I can completely disassemble on the engine stand to hopefully find what it is and leave no doubt.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Also I forgot to mention, when I go to the back to listen to the exhaust there is no skipping or unusual noise. I thought of a few more things to check out while she's still running. I'm going to use my hp scanner and see if anything odd shows up on the read.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Well it's been several weeks and everything is fine. It just went away after the blower O-ring seal was replaced and PVC cleaned. The only thing that I can think of is possibly a little bit of fine dust got in there causing the rotors to chatter. Everything else that was mentioned was checked and there were no other issues. I hate it when that happens, makes me nervous...