Exhaust Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question: How can I dull down the drone of my exhaust ? I have JBA LT Headers, JBA y-pipe, single in/single out Magnaflow muffler dumping out behind my passenger side rear tire. The truck runs and sounds amazing, but at about 2000 RPM the drone is almost too loud (I know my wife is prob tired of it already) but since we do take my truck on trips and other outings I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how or what (if anything) can be done to help, or if I just need to get used to it.

Thanks in advance.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question: How can I dull down the drone of my exhaust ? I have JBA LT Headers, JBA y-pipe, single in/single out Magnaflow muffler dumping out behind my passenger side rear tire. The truck runs and sounds amazing, but at about 2000 RPM the drone is almost too loud (I know my wife is prob tired of it already) but since we do take my truck on trips and other outings I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how or what (if anything) can be done to help, or if I just need to get used to it.

Thanks in advance.
I had the same when I had Carven with headers. I swapped mufflers to black widow. Sounded better but with having headers with no cats it's most likely gonna scream sometimes lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a tuner and turn off the system that shuts down cylinders for fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Turning mds off actually made my cruising speed drone worse since I stayed in the rpm drone zone. It was only at 60-65 mph, but I spent too much time at that rpm.

OP
OP
DoubleB223

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah. I've done that. I need to get a custom tune. That may help the shift points in sure. But still no matter at 2k rpm she demands to be heard ! Lol

Oh well guess I'll just turn the radio up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. I've done that. I need to get a custom tune. That may help the shift points in sure. But still no matter at 2k rpm she demands to be heard ! Lol

Oh well guess I'll just turn the radio up!

I'm telling ya lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You can also reduce the drone by trying to get the muffler as far back to the axle as possible. Some shops mount it under the cab or near the front of the bed. Moving it back helps.

OP
OP
DoubleB223

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also reduce the drone by trying to get the muffler as far back to the axle as possible. Some shops mount it under the cab or near the front of the bed. Moving it back helps.

Ok. I'll take a look at that and see. I'm not 100% where it's at. See if I can move it a little further back. Thanks.

OP
OP
DoubleB223

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
J-pipe will take care of the drone. Mufflex sell one

So how does that j pipe work. You just mount it in and it takes some of the sound away?

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another which would be a huge upgrade is using some sound dampening Mats in your doors and under the carpet... would elimanate majority if not all the drone then also all other sounds aswell

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the mufflex jpipe installed on a 1500...

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The J-Pipe is an Helmholtz resonator.

[yt]ekJy78e9QIk[/yt]

The Mufflex one is adjustable so you can move it to find the perfect frequency cancellation depending on your setup.

Next time I'll be under the truck I'll take a picture of mine installed.