Exhaust upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I want to put a magnaflow on but I think the 780 bucks for a cat back I feel is steep what if I put a magnaflow muffler an had my local exhaust/ welding shop do their thing with stainless cat back ? Wouldn't that work while saving money from the "kit" ??

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The factory system is already a nice stainless system that has plenty of diameter for flow. Most guys just go with a different muffler as there are no sound or power gains from replacing the exhaust behind the muffler. Check out the mufflex kits if you are looking for a maganflow muffler. They are around $300 and you can just bolt it in yourself and they are 100% stainless.

lrydbom15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Magnaflow welded on in place of my stock muffler and left the rest of the stock system in place. It cost me just under $200 to have it done. Mufflex does make a really slick by on set up using the Magnaflow. Performance will be the same, it all depends on how much you want to spend and if you want it to be welded or bolt on.

lrydbom15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Magnaflow welded on in place of my stock muffler and left the rest of the stock system in place. It cost me just under $200 to have it done. Mufflex does make a really slick bolt on set up using the Magnaflow. Performance will be the same, it all depends on how much you want to spend and if you want it to be welded or bolt on.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The main reason guys go with the full catback systems is because they are Bolton, a higher grade stainless than stock, and they come with 5" tips which will cost upwards of $250-$300 for you to add on afterwards. Performance wise, you wont feel much of a gain between a simple muffler swap and a full catback system, so it all comes down to the look you want with the tips and whether you want something that is bolt on or permanently welded on.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A quick question for the guys who had mufflers welded in, how did you find a place with stainless pipe? Everywhere around here only has aluminized.

OP
OP
Jmangermeier008
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wanting to know what I should go with if I want not loud in the cabin but still sounds good outside

redexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went to a local muffler shop and had them do a "catback" for me, replacing stock muffler w/ a magnaflow, 2.5 inch aluminized piping, and magnaflow tips (I think tips are 2.5 - 3 inch, looks to be the same diameter as pipes), looks great, sounds amazing, $550 out the door installed, tips alone were about $190. No regrets at all, and no droning or obnoxious interior resonation. In fact, it's completely silent at cruising speeds, quiet as stock, but w/ windows cracked and my foot in it, sweet music.

redexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
honestly I didn't ask, I just told them to do magnaflow muffler w/ piping and tips, and they went to work, i'll find out for you this afternoon and post it up.

OP
OP
Jmangermeier008
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok cool thank you! I just know I want that deeper tone but I don't want to old lady making me take it off cuz she can't hear In the cab lol

lrydbom15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the MF 12288 (18", 3"SI/ 2.5" DO). Minimal drone at highway speeds and sounds great when you hit the skinny pedal.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd just get the mufflex then be done with it. Even my dodm80 is pretty tame compared to how I want my truck to sound. Then if you have regrets it bolts off. If you neeeed 5" tips you can find the ones I have that are 2.5" to 5" 140.00 for the set from pypes then cut off your adjustable joint and slide those on and clamp down.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok cool thank you! I just know I want that deeper tone but I don't want to old lady making me take it off cuz she can't hear In the cab lol
Options:
1) Mangaflow 14, 18, 24" Muffler welded in: Aggressive, moderate, and mature respectively (or obnoxious, loud and mellow if you prefer) <---I know this will draw hate from the loud crowd. :hidesbehindsofa:

2) Mufflex bolt in kit (Magnaflow 14, 18, 24" muffler with all stainless steel piping)

3) Full Cat-back $$$

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to a local muffler shop and had them do a "catback" for me, replacing stock muffler w/ a magnaflow, 2.5 inch aluminized piping, and magnaflow tips (I think tips are 2.5 - 3 inch, looks to be the same diameter as pipes), looks great, sounds amazing, $550 out the door installed, tips alone were about $190. No regrets at all, and no droning or obnoxious interior resonation. In fact, it's completely silent at cruising speeds, quiet as stock, but w/ windows cracked and my foot in it, sweet music.

Wow you went way too small on the tips. Stock are 4" I believe

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm wanting to know what I should go with if I want not loud in the cabin but still sounds good outside

I went with the DOD14. It is the most aggressive of the Mufflex systems that leave the resonators in place. I have Zero Drone and while just cruising I can barely hear it. When I put my foot in it is when it comes to life and makes me smile.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Options:
1) Mangaflow 14, 18, 24" Muffler welded in: Aggressive, moderate, and mature respectively (or obnoxious, loud and mellow if you prefer) <---I know this will draw hate from the loud crowd. :hidesbehindsofa:

2) Mufflex bolt in kit (Magnaflow 14, 18, 24" muffler with all stainless steel piping)

3) Full Cat-back $$$

:yourself: @ Obnoxious.

J/k. Lol

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok I want to put a magnaflow on but I think the 780 bucks for a cat back I feel is steep what if I put a magnaflow muffler an had my local exhaust/ welding shop do their thing with stainless cat back ? Wouldn't that work while saving money from the "kit" ??

I looked around and there are sites that have the cat back system listed for around 780 but they have a button that says something like make an offer. I clicked on that and shot a 300 dollar offer to which they replied with 550. Just sayin. Look around.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And if you're going to do it right get rid of the Y pipe!