First oil change recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called my dealer today to see if I could supply my own oil and and oil filter for changes. I was given the green light and will get my oil changed this weekend.

I looked in the Synthetic Oil thread and there are over 10K posts to read through. Based on what what I saw, Redline and Royal Purple are very popular.

Would some of you be so kind to provide me with your recommendations on which oil and oil filter to use? Whether I pick Redline or Royal Purple, I am guessing I will have a solid oil in my engine.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Royal Purple gets my vote to include the Royal Purple Filter if your engine will take it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal Purple gets my vote to include the Royal Purple Filter if your engine will take it.

Thanks. What do you mean by, "if your engine will take it"?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal purples formula has changed and is now not nearly as good. Redline or penz platinum plus are the top rated oils for the hemi engines (by the oil gurus) and still the royal purple filter is voted best for filters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 3.6L has a cartridge type filter at a fixed size. Royal purple makes a larger traditional style screw on filter that will fit the Hemi (not sure about 4.7 in between).

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the conclussion from the 10k post thread your referring to lol

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Royal purples formula has changed and is now not nearly as good. Redline or penz platinum plus are the top rated oils for the hemi engines (by the oil gurus) and still the royal purple filter is voted best for filters

its either pennzoil platinum or pennzoil ultra platinujm......there is no such thing as pennzoil platinum plus.

for what its worth, penn platinum is good, penn ultra plat is even better oil and both are very well regarded in the ram community, ultra being the best

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its either pennzoil platinum or pennzoil ultra platinujm......there is no such thing as pennzoil platinum plus.

for what its worth, penn platinum is good, penn ultra plat is even better oil and both are very well regarded in the ram community, ultra being the best
My mistake, ultra platinum is what I meant.

Usdmskyline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used Amsoil Sig Series and stock filter. Rated up to 25k. I still change my oil between 7500-10000 as time permits.

2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L
2017 Chevy Tahoe LT

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic is what I been using every 3k miles. Works good and you can always find good deals at Walmart for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess is that if you're having the dealer do you're oil change is that you should meet all the requirements on the oil that you choose. That is API certified, ms6395, 5/20. I don't know if they make a record of exactly what you're using or not as far as warranty goes. If you change you're own oil you have more flexibility and they probably wouldn't try to verify what specific oil you're using.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Wpuld not use Royal Purple, like was said use PUP or PP synthetic oil with a Synthetic filter.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are many that use redline with success. In the synthetic oil thread, there is evolving evidence that it will quite the hemi tick and prevent lifter, roller bearing and dropped valve issues.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 3.6L has a cartridge type filter at a fixed size. Royal purple makes a larger traditional style screw on filter that will fit the Hemi (not sure about 4.7 in between).

Ah okay thank you.

Thank you. I believe I heard that RAM dealers use pennzoil. Is that true?

That's the conclussion from the 10k post thread your referring to lol

Lol thank you

Thank you.

There are many that use redline with success. In the synthetic oil thread, there is evolving evidence that it will quite the hemi tick and prevent lifter, roller bearing and dropped valve issues.

Thank you. What oil filter is recommended to go along with Redline?

My guess is that if you're having the dealer do you're oil change is that you should meet all the requirements on the oil that you choose. That is API certified, ms6395, 5/20. I don't know if they make a record of exactly what you're using or not as far as warranty goes. If you change you're own oil you have more flexibility and they probably wouldn't try to verify what specific oil you're using.

Thank you. I had no idea about the certifications for the oil. Does Redline, Royal Purple, and Penzoil to meet these certifications?

If I were to change my own oil, how do I go about it without the dealer knowing? Won't the oil filter give them a clue I did it myself?

I used Amsoil Sig Series and stock filter. Rated up to 25k. I still change my oil between 7500-10000 as time permits.

2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L
2017 Chevy Tahoe LT

Thank you.

Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic is what I been using every 3k miles. Works good and you can always find good deals at Walmart for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Wpuld not use Royal Purple, like was said use PUP or PP synthetic oil with a Synthetic filter.

Thank you. What type of synthetic oil filter would you recommend?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal purple oil filter is best and according to royal purple there filters "exceed OE requirements and will not affect your vehicles warranty." That's according to royal purple not me lol I couldn't say for positive. But yeah royal purple extended life filters are top notch

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever had any dealer problems when you're using redline oil? I know they didn't like it when I brought my own Pennzoil in, but I think that was more of an altitude problem with the service writer. I guess what I'm asking is have they ever refused to change you're oil if you showed up with redline?

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that recommend Royal Purple, Redline, PUP or PP, what is the specific product number to purchase?

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this price correct for Red line, $11.95 for a quart? 7quarts x $11.95 = 83.65! I had no idea oil cost this much. I don't mind spending the money for good oil, but if someone can recommend where I am able to purchase it cheaper I would appreciate it!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Amazon has (slightly) better prices. That's where I buy my oil from. Keep in mind that the higher cost "should" pay for itself in added longevity over the dealer brand in use.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is this price correct for Red line, $11.95 for a quart? 7quarts x $11.95 = 83.65! I had no idea oil cost this much. I don't mind spending the money for good oil, but if someone can recommend where I am able to purchase it cheaper I would appreciate it!

Man I have posted this over ten times, buy by the 12 case you get free shipping.

Less then 10 bucks a qrt.