Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squintsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking into buying shorty headers for my 13 Ram 5.7 I’m just wondering what brand is good that will give me my bang for my buck and won’t cause any leak problems or what extra I need to buy after I purchase headers to prevent leaks??? Kind of a noob question but I’m just curious.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking into buying shorty headers for my 13 Ram 5.7 I’m just wondering what brand is good that will give me my bang for my buck and won’t cause any leak problems or what extra I need to buy after I purchase headers to prevent leaks??? Kind of a noob question but I’m just curious.
From what I've read BBK's are NOT the ones to get.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Squintsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you suggest, I was actually thinking BBKs but I saw a lot of bad reviews and I was like nevermind. Maybe JBAs???

OP
OP
S

Squintsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go Long Tubes but I’m just looking for something that’s simple and I don’t need to change anything from the Cats down, also I’m in college and I just paid my tuition, not to much cash, lol

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Not to hijack this thread, but what are the differences and benefits of short vs long headers? Thank you

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but from what I've read, the shorties are cheaper and easier to install. They seems to be a direct replacement for the OEM manifolds. The Long tubes are more $$, and sometimes a lot harder to install. Also, when I was looking at them just the other day, several sites state that the LTs are for "off-road use only" usually meaning they're not smog legal.

Ericspants87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as I know Long Tubes are totally legal as long as you have Cats still... get a catless Y pipe then yes of course they are "track only" or "off road only".
I believe Long tubes have the potential to make more power if your going with a big cam or supercharger.... Shorties are the everyday just better than manifolds type deal.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah you can buy LTs with cats just pricey plus you need a tuner, But you get a big hp gain . ARH with cats on ebay are $1,700 bucks.
Shorties are cheaper and easier and from what I am told you dont need a tuner but the hp gains are less.

IMO a person buys shorties to get the junk stock manifolds and bolts off the truck..lol
With the small bennift of a better flowing exhaust, smoother running motor, and about 8hp gain.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thx for explaining!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's the run down. Pretty much what's been said but, long tubes will increase your power and torque throughout the entire power curve (as long as you don't get to large of primaries,) as well as give a nice throaty sound. They are definitely more expensive then shorties and require either also buying a matching y/mid pipe or having some custom tubing fabbed. They don't REQUIRE a tune however to see the real full potential of them yes your gunna want a custom tune. Shorties are basically a direct replacement to the crappy manifold. They will flow a bit better then stock and if you dynod before and after you might see just a few eagles appear but I mean maybe just a few, nothing you'll feel outside of a placebo affect. But they are convenient as far as price and installation and can (most often) bolt up directly to your stock set up. Never once have I seen someone get shorties (who wanted some added power and rumble) and say "dang I glad I went with shorties" lol. You will be disappointed. HOWEVER if you wanna just scrap the stock manifold and flow a bit better and nothing more expected then shorties will be just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also as was stated, BBK is bottom of the barrel lol

OP
OP
S

Squintsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For JBA shorty headers would the gaskets that come with it be ideal or have there been problems with them leaking and if so. Where should I buy bolts and gaskets from? So that way I don’t use the JBA provided gaskets and bolts.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For JBA shorty headers would the gaskets that come with it be ideal or have there been problems with them leaking and if so. Where should I buy bolts and gaskets from? So that way I don’t use the JBA provided gaskets and bolts.

Most guys run OEM Mopar gaskets and use the supplied bolts from the headers.

OP
OP
S

Squintsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most guys run OEM Mopar gaskets and use the supplied bolts from the headers.

Where do I get the OEM molar gaskets, would I have to go to the dealerot I can find them online? Sorry if the question sounds dumb this is my first time doing something major to the exhaust and engine.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where do I get the OEM molar gaskets, would I have to go to the dealerot I can find them online? Sorry if the question sounds dumb this is my first time doing something major to the exhaust and engine.
Moes sells the mopar gaskets

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any RAM/FCA dealer can get them too. I'd find out the MOPAR part# and just google your way to the cheapest one available.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As many guys have said, while shorties are better than stock, they only give half the gain f longtubes. With the JBA shorties being only a few dollars cheaper than their longtube headers, I would go with the longtubes myself. They are still clamp on, so the install is no more difficult. I actually think it is easier to install longtubes because there is more room to get to the actual header bolts.

The supplied bolts work great, but I would get the Mopar 6.1L Hemi gaskets instead of what come with the headers.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the JBA long tubes require moving the dipstick tube? I've read that the ARHs do.