How hard do you guys drive your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After getting my exhaust done, I just can't not help myself from putting the throttle to the floor quite often.

Does anyone do the same thing and am I hurting the engine in any way by driving this way?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different people have different opinions on this, while your truck engine isn't a brand new hellcat engine, it's pretty tough. It would take a lot of romping on it to any real imedate damage. I would bet that you'll get used to the sound and calm down a little bit before you actually damage anything. However, if you thrash on it forever it will shorten the life of your engine without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Funny how often this is asked on here, lol...

I drive pretty hard as I usually take corners with squealing tires and do WOT a few times a day, usually when passing or merging onto the freeway.

Modern vehicles have so many electronic limiting devices that it would be pretty hard to actually break it with just aggressive driving on a well built vehicle. I would say if you have an 8-speed as I do, you can drive it as hard as you want and, most likely, the only thing you'll end up killing is your tires and MPG.

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! I can’t get more than 30k out of ANY tire! MPG’s, well, um, ya it’s still in double digits. Does this adequately describe how hard I drive my truck?

Is it ok that my 3 girls (8 and 5 year old twins) say “Daddy, do a hotrod!” when we are first at an intersection?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny how often this is asked on here, lol...

All my previous vehicles have been slow so it's quite the change driving a Hemi.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! I can’t get more than 30k out of ANY tire! MPG’s, well, um, ya it’s still in double digits. Does this adequately describe how hard I drive my truck?

Yes I'm only 30k on my truck and I'm already feeling the hit to my wallet when looking at my tires.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Everything breaks, doesn't matter how you drive it.

Terrible Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemiroid
Pedal goes to the floor at least once every time I drive my truck. The way I look at it is, these trucks are over-engineered to pull tons of weight... a short WOT run in comparison is nothing compared to towing.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I'll be replacing my factory tires next week and got about 25,000 out of them. They are worn down enough where hydroplaning is starting to become and issue in rain storms, so time to change them now as they definitely won't make it through another winter.

Yep, these are way tougher and better quality trucks than the Dodge trucks of yesteryear. I went from my old 1994 Ram to my 2016 and it is so many times better and stronger I can't even begin describe it. My old truck had the handling of a brick and no guts, my '16 is blown, with gobs of power to spare and handles it like a dream.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only time I am WOT is if someone ****** me off and won't move over and I want to pass them. I drive like a grampa pretty much compared to you guys.

I don't do speed limits, I'm 55 to 60 in a 45 and 75 in a 65 most of the time. I don't WOT at stop light to the speed I want to be. I causally go and 9 out of 10 times faster than most.

Pretty much baby my cars.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends on my day or the mood.. I find myself hitting the gas probably once and a while to hear my exhaust; but I bought the truck to slow myself down which it has compared to a go fast car.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only time I am WOT is if someone ****** me off and won't move over and I want to pass them. I drive like a grampa pretty much compared to you guys.

I don't do speed limits, I'm 55 to 60 in a 45 and 75 in a 65 most of the time. I don't WOT at stop light to the speed I want to be. I causally go and 9 out of 10 times faster than most.

I certainly couldn't drive like that, lol. You sound like the kind of people I pass on the highway, then again I'm usually driving about 20MPH over the limit like most other people do on the highways I drive on daily :waytogo:

I hate it when people take forever to get up to speed from a stop light, especially if it is on a highway. If people accelerate slow or do anything to annoy me the least bit on the road, I pass their ass; that's my policy :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This. Plus the Charger is so much faster, it makes me wish the truck was the same... so I try not to drive it like that.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
S&B Intake....Carven Progressive...tough not to get on the pedal!

I don't beat on my new Rebel at all...but I do push that pedal down a bit more than I probably should :)

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a slightly aggressive driver. But I got used to driving the Jeep like a grandpa around town because (1) it's really loud at WOT, and (2) I can do 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. So I never need to go anywhere near WOT, even passing on the highway, or going up on ramps. However I'm the polar opposite at the track. WFO always! ;) I guess that behavior followed me to the Ram. I tend to putt around town, though need way more throttle than the Jeep sometimes. That said, I haven't been that easy on the Ram either. I've only put ~3700 miles on it since I got it, but I already have 38 passes. And that total will grow tomorrow at the track. LOL!

wink

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife says I drive like a maniac. I bought my truck in June and my best MPG was 11. It’s so fun to drive I just can’t keep my foot out of it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Follow the speed limit mostly, but I have fun occasionally.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive normal most of the time unless I need to get around some non driving mofos. I got a charger if I really feel the need to haul ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
I like to hear my exhaust and romp on it. I don’t floor it or beat it but I like to hear the pipes when I take off around town....

rvj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I'm an old man and I drive like one. I probably drive it too easy, but I want it to last forever and look new that long too.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I drive like a complete old man. No tickets in 15+ years and no accidents 30+ years. I average 22-23 MPG in mixed driving.

Funny thing is when I was younger people were afraid to get in the car with me.