ignition switch replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoBoysdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey folks, I have a 2011 3500 6.7 cummins, auto, 4x4, drw, st base model. I've been having problems with my ignition switch for a while now, it's pretty finicky at times. I have to jiggle the key to get it to start and when it does start you have to let off just right or the truck dies. My question is, if I have the standard key and not the one with the fob or just the fob itself then do I have to have everything programmed or am I lucky enough that I can just throw a switch in it and roll?

Bear 86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you replace the ignition switch it will have to be programmed to the vehicle and your currently keys will have to be programmed to switch (win module). If you were to do just the metal key or fob they would have to be programmed to switch. Hope this helps some.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You could try just buying the module from a place that has a good return policy, and replacing it like you suggest. If it doesn't work, then return it, and take it to the dealer for the job.

If you have a good dealer in your area, you could always buy the part from them, and try it.

Get someone to check the factory service manual for you to see what is required in the replacement. I would do it, but I don't have my copy of it on this computer.

OP
OP
P

PoBoysdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the help guys. I gotta do something quick. I can't even release the parking brake without the truck dieing

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Was this ever fixed?

I have same issue. very loose key hole. If I so much as rip a fart, something in the key hole moves, and engine shuts off. like when I'm driving on the freeway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990