Ignition Switch Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fabman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have replaced my Ignition switch ( the actual electrical switch not the Key Holder) 3 times in the past year on my 2006 Ram. Mother MOPAR no longer supplies these and all the after market crap is just that...CRAP !...for $35.....anyone with a better source??

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check RockAuto.com... They usually have decent aftermarket stuff...

OP
OP
Fabman

Fabman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did that....thats the same crap all the local shops offer for around $30

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did that....thats the same crap all the local shops offer for around $30
Sorry to hear that. I've had good results with them before, but it has also been a bit. Not sure what you can do at this point...

OP
OP
Fabman

Fabman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After calling about a dozen dodge dealerships...I finally contacted one that would give me a part number ! All the dealerships I called said YES they could get me the switch...but costs were all close to $600 or higher! WOW ! The one dealership gave me a price of $680...and said I wouldnt be happy with the price...but the gentleman DID give me a part number ( all the other dealerships refused to supply a part number.) I was able to do a search on line AGAIN- this time using the part number....and most dealerships said part not available at this time.

So...at least I have a part number for a genuine MOPAR switch....

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After calling about a dozen dodge dealerships...I finally contacted one that would give me a part number ! All the dealerships I called said YES they could get me the switch...but costs were all close to $600 or higher! WOW ! The one dealership gave me a price of $680...and said I wouldnt be happy with the price...but the gentleman DID give me a part number ( all the other dealerships refused to supply a part number.) I was able to do a search on line AGAIN- this time using the part number....and most dealerships said part not available at this time.

So...at least I have a part number for a genuine MOPAR switch....
You know, you might be able to find one at a junk yard - I'm sure there's a few wrecked RAMs that have perfectly fine ignition switches/housings. You'll have to call around, but the part number will definitely help. Also, you should be able to use any switch from the same generation of RAMs (3rd Gen in your case) - but, you might also be able to use one from either an earlier (2nd) or later (4th Gen). Most hardware doesn't really change a lot within the same generation, and even in between different generations, most of the changes are computer/engine/drive train, and styling changes, but simple electrical switches are often the same for four or five years if not longer.