JBA longtubes with Y installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed some JBA LT's with the Y pipe. Having previously installed headers on a new 5.0 Mustang this install wasn't too bad. Worst part's were extracting one broken stock manifold bolt (reason I got the headers), removing stock Y(just finally cut the damn thing off), and putting the new header in position on the drivers side. After that the bolts were all pretty easy to get to and was fairly straight forward. Couple of issues before the positives:

1. I have a decent leak where the Y comes together. I don't like the U clamps that come with the Y and think this could be contributing to the leak. I will go to NAPA tomorrow to see if they have the smaller and better band clamps and I think that may solve my issue.

2. The headers came with longer O2 extensions and they are definitely long enough to reach the rear O2 sensors. The issue I had was the front passenger O2 sensor. For the life of me I could not get it long enough to reach the location. I was pulling on it thinking there may have been some more slack and the wires came out of the plug. Yay. Thankfully this is not the first time this has happened (ABS wires) and I can just put them back in. I guess I'll have to find some extensions for the front O2.

Positives.
Ma gawd the top end pull. I was cruising down the road at 50 and punched it and it was crazy how much faster it was. I was not expecting that. Throttle response is MUCH better. I had to relearn accelerating from a stop because the truck is much more responsive and eager to GO. The truck sounds pretty damn mean while still being decently quiet with no cats, an 18" Maggy, and resonators. I admit, it doesn't sound fantastic while in the truck, but I had my friend drive it while I watched and it sounded damn good. I think the exhaust leak contributes to it and I know headers and no cats allow a lot more engine noise.

So long story short I am very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone looking to go faster. I'd like to give a shout out to Matt at Moe's Performance for shipping these suckers out in a day and for answering all my questions. The guy is the damn man when it comes to helping us out with our trucks and sometimes even bigger issues.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I threw all the included supplied hardware out, It's all junk. specially the bolts and those walmart special clamps...lol...

My 02 extenders on my 2012 were way too long on both sides, had to loop them and zip tie the **** out of them. the rears didnt need extentions.

You need a custom tune to complete the install. its night and day.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a tune prepared just need to do a few logs and fix my O2 sensor. It really wakes the truck up big time. I used your thread for reference before I installed mine haha.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even the band clamps I used aren't that good, Im gona get that Y pipe connection welded just to be on the safe side.

The other band clamp is on a straight pipe and I dont see any issues with that one.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That will be my final step if it still leaks. I'd like to keep it separable just in case.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually bought some of those and have one where the Y turns into a single. Unfortunately, it was too big for the curved one.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I welded all the joints on my y-pipe cause i never could get it to seal no matter what I did

tuned by Jay Greene

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cut the pass side collector off ,clock it till it lines up better and re-weld it. I have no leaks on my "Y" pipe with the collectors clocked to where they line up properly.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yet there are people who think the 1 7/8 headers are just too big.... Glad to hear the JBAs worked out for you! I plan on trying OBX myself. Good review!

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yet there are people who think the 1 7/8 headers are just too big.... Glad to hear the JBAs worked out for you! I plan on trying OBX myself. Good review!
Thanks! They are certainly worth it for the added power alone.
Cut the pass side collector off ,clock it till it lines up better and re-weld it. I have no leaks on my "Y" pipe with the collectors clocked to where they line up properly.
Hopefully I won't have to go that far, but thanks for the tip!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you try obx visualy inspect them carefully before you install them the welders that work for them in CHINA need more practice and some quality control

tuned by Jay Greene

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[yt]rTlHEOE2Zp4[/yt] that's a 400ci

That's why i got my 1 3/4, I don't plan going fi anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
how so? my 8 speed 3.92 showed no noticeable loss in the low end and a very noticeable gain in the mid to top end with 1 7/8 tubes.it still blows the tires through 4th gear if you want to with 33 inch tall tires .I'd say that's plenty of power down low

tuned by Jay Greene

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dyno runs don't lie, watch the video, even Moe's said on here quite a few times 1 3/4 are best for our trucks.

I have 1 7/8 cauz JBA's are the cheapest headers that are bolt on. If I had the cash I would of gotten 1 3/4's

Lucky for me i'm not trying to make a brick into a sports car, So the cheap headers with a little less down range torque were ok for me.