K&N filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you can tell by my name I'm new here. What's the going opinion on K&N filters? I have used the panel air filters on everything I've owned since 2002 and used their oil filters off and on. I just got my new Ram about a month ago and was thinking about using K&N on it but I've been reading some really mixed reviews on them. I've never had any problems in the past with them, however I don't want to start any problems now either. Any and all advice appreciated.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why anyone would use a filter that really doesn't work well until it's 1/2 plugged and then all that BS washing/oiling them.Under oiled it doesn't filter and over oiled it can ruin your MAF Sensor.I guess if you like intake noise maybe.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the answers, kinda what I was thinking. When I first started using them I just read the k&n website stuff and basically believed what I read. Even though I hadn't had any problems from them I really was starting to question their worth. Figured I'd ask for honest answers from people with similar interests that had nothing to gain or loose from voicing their opinions. Thanks again.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well ****. I've had k&n air filters on my last 2 rams and thought they worked fine. I mainly bought them because it was cheaper than always replacing them. Plus i've always had dirtbikes and quads with the same type of reusable filter in it. Maybe I need to do some research..

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ****. I've had k&n air filters on my last 2 rams and thought they worked fine. I mainly bought them because it was cheaper than always replacing them. Plus i've always had dirtbikes and quads with the same type of reusable filter in it. Maybe I need to do some research..

On one of the ATV sites I'm on one of the site vendors owns an auto machine shop and he actually thanked people for using K&N filters as they help keep him in business.

Take off the tube between the filter and the carb/throttle body and rub your finger around the inside.You might be surprised by what you see.:favorites13:

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm not gonna promote or condem the filters. First off remember you're pcv vents into top of air box after filter, also alot of members in this forum can't wait to put on cold air induction which in most cases if not all means oiled filter.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Used them on all my vehicles since '99 and no problems. Clean and reoil properly and they are fine. If they were a bad product, they would have gone out of business years ago.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah i definitely dont think oiled filters are anything miraculous, but now i'm starting to wonder if the people having problems with them are not oiling them appropriately. It actually takes very little oil. My last truck had on in it for 150k miles and didnt have any problems. Or maybe I just got lucky!

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knock on wood, I've used them for 15 years, my last truck had 200000 miles on it when I sold it, all with a k& n air filter. Never had the first problem, no MAF issues or anything.I think you're right, due to improper use people choose to blame the filter for their lack of following instructions.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not sure why anyone would use a filter that really doesn't work well until it's 1/2 plugged and then all that BS washing/oiling them.Under oiled it doesn't filter and over oiled it can ruin your MAF Sensor.I guess if you like intake noise maybe.
THERE IS NO MAF sensor on a RAM 5.7L

You only have an Intake Air Temp sensor and that is not easily fouled by oil.

Not sure where you get your tech info if you know so little about the RAM.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Knock on wood, I've used them for 15 years, my last truck had 200000 miles on it when I sold it, all with a k& n air filter. Never had the first problem, no MAF issues or anything.I think you're right, due to improper use people choose to blame the filter for their lack of following instructions.
I have had the S&B CAI with an oiled filter for over four years. I perform cleaning and oil recharge per the manual usually Spring and Fall and have never found any oily residue in my intake tube (I also use a PCV oil catch can so I haven't found any oil in my intake manifold either).

That being said, a K&N drop in is better than the OEM paper filter by an order of magnitude. Although there are better drop-ins than K&N (think green not red).

Your stock air box isn't bad, it sucks colder air from the right fender/wheel well and isn't too obstructive. The real villain however is the articulated intake hose which is easy to install at the assembly line, but doesn't give you laminar airflow, or anything close--lots of turbulence from all the peaks and valleys. CAIs are not essential if you plan to stay stock, a good drop in is probably adequate. However if you plan on headers or other modifications, you may want to consider a CAI (and they are one of the easiest owner installed mods out there).

CAIs like filters are not created equal: open box, or no box filters let in heat saturated air and just make a ton of throttle noise that is poser loud under the hood (IMHO).

There are three enclosed units: S&B, Volant and MOPAR now makes one too. These have huge filters but being enclosed you don't have to listen to conversation killing, music-drowning throttle noise under acceleration. The other popular CAI is the Vararam. It sits on top of the manifold and looks a lot like an old Hemi shaker, especially if you buy it in Hemi orange. It sucks via ducting over the top of the radiator so it gives a ram-air effect. It also isn't stupid loud under the hood.
Again IMHO, the noise should come from your exhaust, not your throttle body sucking and whining.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used K&N in the past but I don't use them anymore. I disagree that a K&N is better than a OEM paper filter. The K&N flows more air but filters less, it has been proven in many tests. Take a K&N and hold it up to the sun and you will see why. Will it cause damage? I doubt it but why take the risk. There are many other better reusable filters on the market if you want to go that way but I will stick with a Mopar or Wix paper filter.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THERE IS NO MAF sensor on a RAM 5.7L

You only have an Intake Air Temp sensor and that is not easily fouled by oil.

Not sure where you get your tech info if you know so little about the RAM.

Just stating a generic fact about what your K&N can do.
:flipthebird:

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The next time you get your K&N washed out hold it up to the sunlight.It's like looking at the milky way.All those little light specs while letting more air pass also let more dirt in.

I see a lot of you enjoy the K&N Koolaide.Enjoy!!

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been running K&N filters on all my vehicles for years. Never had an issue on any of them. The trick to not having an oily mess is to very very lightly oil it after cleaning. It doesn't take much at all. You might also consider any residue you might find could also be from blow by, and not the K&N oil. If it looks like K&N oil, you put too much on the filter. All Hemis should have a good catch can to reduce the known blow by problem. But no, a K&N will not harm anything, and will improve performance.

wink

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running K&N filters on all my vehicles for years. Never had an issue on any of them. The trick to not having an oily mess is to very very lightly oil it after cleaning. It doesn't take much at all. You might also consider any residue you might find could also be from blow by, and not the K&N oil. If it looks like K&N oil, you put too much on the filter. All Hemis should have a good catch can to reduce the known blow by problem. But no, a K&N will not harm anything, and will improve performance.

wink

There have been bad reviews on K&N air filters from just about every test that ever compared filters.Any improvement the you're feeling is most likely just that,a feeling.Unless you've had a lot of work done the stock paper filter will feed all the air it will ever need and actually filter right from new.

I'd love to see a dyno read out that proves me wrong on just a filter change.

It kills me that some people spend large on expensive oil and filters and then stick an air filter in that is sketchy at best.:favorites13:

BTW For the guy that wondered about my knowledge.Yes you're right I didn't know for sure whether my Ram had one and I really don't care as long as it works.You don't make good money wrenching for a living for well over 30 years(as I have) by not knowing what you need to know.

Last edited:

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There have been bad reviews on K&N air filters from just about every test that ever compared filters.Any improvement the you're feeling is most likely just that,a feeling.Unless you've had a lot of work done the stock paper filter will feed all the air it will ever need and actually filter right from new.

It kills me that some people spend large on expensive oil and filters and then stick an air filter in that is sketchy at best.:favorites13:

BTW For the guy that wondered about my knowledge.Yes you're right I didn't know for sure whether my Ram had one and I really don't care as long as it works.You don't make good money wrenching for a living for well over 30 years(as I have) by not knowing what you need to know.

Well you've decided to attack my post. So tell me what this claimed, and verified, damage has been from K&N filters... Why haven't millions of others had the same experience? I assume you speak from vast experience with K&Ns rather than just reading about them. My posts are based on actual experience. Never had a vehicle yet whose performance didn't improve with just a filter swap. Sometimes just a little, other times a lot. Nor have I ever had an engine problem from running them.

I'll agree with you that the butt-dyno can lie sometimes. However timeslips don't lie. Here's an anecdotal story for you. I took my RAM to the track a few weeks ago. Bone stock. Next week I went back with only one change, replaced the OEM element with a K&N drop in. Knocked a tenth off my time. Same track, same weather, same everything, except filter and fuel level. I had a full tank the second trip and 1/4 tank the first time. So possibly more than a tenth if the tank had the same each time. The only thing I "felt" after the swap was increased throttle response and acceleration. The timeslips just confirmed what I already knew.

But you want to see dyno data for a K&N swap. There's plenty of examples out there, but here's one so you don't have to Google it.

K&N Air Filter Test - Tech Articles - Hot Rod Network

As for years of experience. I know of a handful of shops that've been in business and making money for decades. I've seen their work and would never let them touch anything of mine. And yes, I used to wrench for money when I was younger. Not saying that applies to you, just saying length of service doesn't necessarily equate to quality of service. In any industry. But you seem dead set that your opinion is the final word, so lets just agree to disagree. The other members can research this topic for themselves and make their own decisions. I've made mine and couldn't be happier, or quicker. ;)

wink

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A lot of prostitutes make good money hooking, but that don't mean their a good f___. jus sayin

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just stating a generic fact about what your K&N can do.
:flipthebird:
You don't get to make up your own facts. You do get to off-gas your own opinions.

Everyone has opinions, just like butt holes and the majority stink.

Not doing your homework first before opining doesn't give me a warm feeling about your ability as a wrench. Ever heard of a shop manual?

That IMHO is like taking your vehicle to a lawn mower shop because they fix engines too. :crazy: