Fluids and Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckshot721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First post here, just bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Long Horn 48,000 miles Hemi of course. Looks and drives like new. Had an oil change when I got (no idea brand of oil they used and some cheap oil filter. When I buy a used vehicle I like to change all the filters and fluids unless I know who owned it before. What is a good brand of engine oil and filter to use on this beast? I had an '06' ford since it was new new and ran Mobile 1 and a motorcraft filter on it and had no engine problems ever, due to frame rot it's down the road. I want to keep the truck till I croak, so I want to use something that will help it last. Any recommendations on what to use? Thanks

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
People take oil related matters personally and too seriously. This is what works for me:
1. Full synthetic media filter (i.e. Mobil 1, WIX XP etc).
2. 4-5K intervals
3. Full syn oil
4. Lubegard Biotech (poor man's Redline); Hemi elixir

I'm at 151K; 0 ticks; 0 engine issues. Just my $.02.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram forum polling says the top oil for the hemi is Pennzoil PUP, the second most used oil is m1, third most used oil is Amsoil, and 4th most used oil is redline. So that is a pretty good list imo. If you end up with hemi tick this is a different conversation, but w/o tick hard to beat PUP says the collective forum over many years. I prefer 5w30 as well, especially with older 4 gens. I'd opt for m1 if I was in snow state and wanted to run 0w30, they tend to have great 0 winter rated oils. 31% of the forum uses Pennzoil, 29% uses m1, so between those two that is 60% and all the rest accounts for only 40%.

HPL is a new player, their 0w30 is even a step up from that.

The other argument is the latest spec even cheap synthetics look good.

If you want a performance additive, the science behind lubegard biotech is solid, the same stuff you usually get in oil just more of it. Hemi's tend to benefit from moly and it is mainly a moly additive, but oil soluble moly not powder like others.

Read the oil filter thread for more info, just read page one and 93 if you don't want to read the entire thing. Royal Purple 20-820 seams to be a top choice for filter.

Idahokid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just use quality oil and filter and change it when you’re supposed to.I’d even run Walmart super tech oil.