Loud Ticking 5.7L Hemi 2014 Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray662

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So truck has like 1700 miles on it.. I kinda noticed some light ticking on startup when it's cold.. About 200 or so miles ago. But tonight me the wife and the kiddo headed out to walmart and that ****** was LOUD. We looked at each other like what the hell is that! Drove to walmart.. Cranked back up(engine still warm) no tick. I'm guessing valves? I'd hate for my new engine to be taken apart already -.- ..

P.S truck is bone stock.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
prolly exhaust leak.. dodge is notorious for it.. especially on the exhaust manifolds.... and when it is cold.. that's when it is the loudest..once they warm up and the metals expand.. they seat and quiet down.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to modern hemi era, where we make 395hp at the crank from the factory but still can't make non leaking gaskets. It could be your lifters depending on oil there's a huge thread about it. This weekend I'm thinking about switching to synthetic.

daze513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This really sucks. I heard this noise about 2 weeks ago and was hoping it wasn't anything bad. Is it a big problem to keep driving like that's? I'm going to the dealer for my first complimentary oil change and want them to take a look at it. But I really really don't want them to start taking my truck apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Ray662

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here daze.. Was trying to make it to 3000 miles for first oil change

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have it too... dealer checked everything and said it was normal... nice.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has 7800 miles on it and it ticks worse when fully warm. Its had synthetic since 2000 miles. Its going in to the dealer on Thursday of next week for them to look at it. I'm sure they'll tell me its normal but at least there will be a record that I brought it in for a tick.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has no ticking what so ever... Regular oil... 23,000 miles with bone stock engine. These threads confuse me so much. Does anyone know why mine doesn't have these problems? (I have a 2011)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My tick was due to lifters, I was able to fix it by changing oils. Some oils have better film strength then others. Could be either lifters or exhaust, but usually when it is worse at startup it is likely lifters.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine has no ticking what so ever... Regular oil... 23,000 miles with bone stock engine. These threads confuse me so much. Does anyone know why mine doesn't have these problems? (I have a 2011)

How's your hearing? haha! Kidding, some people don't seem to notice. Try stopping parallel to a concrete wall or barricade with the truck in drive... that's when the Hemi really sounds it's worst.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How's your hearing? haha! Kidding, some people don't seem to notice. Try stopping parallel to a concrete wall or barricade with the truck in drive... that's when the Hemi really sounds it's worst.

You mean that's when it sounds like one bada$$ cummings lol, mine sounds the worst when parked between two other vehicles.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Haha you're right, it does have that diesel type noise.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Its a very quite tick even next to a wall where it echos. Lol so it's the oil that causes it? I have 800 miles on it since i bought it from the dealer

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ugh this is the worst! I went through the drive thru and as soon as I pulled up to the window my engine echoed off the building. And yeah it did sound like a rattling old diesel.

I have switched to royal purple, second change with it but it still hasn't gotten better. Might try redline next see if it helps.

adam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v-8
I have the same thing on my 2012 4.7 alittle loud when fresh start after 20 seconds she's normal and after bringing to the dealer he checked it over and said that's normal and some brand new rams will make the same noise and when the engine hot you might here some more ticking. so unless its a crazy loud tick like you can here it from down the road then probably ok. some people call it the hemi tick for 5.7. The exhaust leak was more on the 2010's not your year. I run mobil one full syn extended life keeps the engine cooler
good luck man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its a very quite tick even next to a wall where it echos. Lol so it's the oil that causes it? I have 800 miles on it since i bought it from the dealer

Mine is sometimes quiet, but most often it's very noticeable. My dad noticed it right away when he was riding shotgun with the windows down.
I've tried heavier oil (with mds turned off), fuel additives, and I even sprinkled the entire truck with holy water. Nothing seems to help other than rolling the windows up haha!

Last edited:

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is sometimes quiet, but most often it's very noticeable. My dad noticed it right away when he was riding shotgun with the windows down.
I've tried heavier oil (with mds turned off), fuel additives, and I even sprinkled the entire truck with holy water. Nothing seems to help other than rolling the windows up haha!

Wow I figured the holy water would work. Lol I put royal purple in mine and put a cap full of slick 50 in it. It definitely isn't as loud but still pretty noticeable.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I just got back from dropping off my truck at the dealer for my tick. The service manager listened to it and agreed it was pretty loud. Then the service writer then tried to tell me that changing my own oil could've caused this. Heeereee we go. Can't wait to hear what they tell me tomorrow when they look at it.

Livewire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tick was bad during the winter, drove me nuts. Now with 18K miles its an all the time tick, hemi tick. Cold, Hot, it dont matter, to me tho it sounds like a knock.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have had zero knock on my 10 Sport and luckily same goes for the 14 Sport. Ticking would send me around the bend followed by up the tree and lastly smacking my head on a concrete floor