2009 Ram, 5.7 L Hemi Cylinder 2 Misfire Conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone! Please strap yourself in because this one is a bit of a doozy. Some background first:

I just purchased a used 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab last month, with about 138,000 miles on it. The body is in stellar shape, the undercarriage is rust-free except the driveshaft and muffler, and the interior is well-maintained. The CarFax is completely clean and the truck only had one owner, who happened to live in the same state as me. It looks like it underwent routine maintenance at the dealership it was originally purchased from until being sold.

I drove the truck for about a week before I got a check engine light one morning at idle, after startup. P0302, cylinder 2 misfire. Well crap.

Now some information about the problem:

As far as I can tell the misfire must be fairly minor, as it only happens after startup and never on the road or when the engine is under load. It's always a P0302 code, though one time there was a P0300 code as well. It doesn't happen everyday, sometimes I will go a couple of days without it happening and other times is occurs every other day. On the days that it does happen, it is the first one or two startups on which is occurs; I can start the truck another dozen times later that day without a misfire. I can't hear the misfire even with the hood open and leaning over bank 2. The motor seems to be performing just fine.

Idling feels a little rough sometimes with a bit of vibration, and there is a soft ticking sound that gets quieter as the engine warms up and lubricates itself (though it sounds like it is in both banks and could just be the "Hemi tick," in which case I don't mind.)

So here's what I've done so far:

I went ahead and assumed that the dealership I purchased the truck from didn't use the proper motor oil when they changed it, and I drained it completely. (I know, a waste :\ ) I put in Mobil1 5w20 full synthetic, and also changed the oil filter w/ a K&N HP-2010.

Next I pulled all 16 spark plugs and replaced them with NGK copper plugs gapped at .045. The plugs definitely needed changed as they had deposits on them, some were slightly burnt, and they were all gapped at nearly .060 (though the plugs from cylinder 2 did not look especially bad.) I also swapped the coil pack from cylinder 2 with cylinder 4. Finally I purchased a tank of 91 octane gasoline and used a bottle of Lucas Oil fuel injector treatment.

Two days passed by without a misfire, but then the CEL came on again and it was P0302 again. Darn.

My efforts escalate:

Now I decide it would be a good idea to invest in a nice tuner that can read/clear codes and do data logging so I purchase one from DiabloSport. I placed one of their less aggressive tunes "Diablo 87" on the truck in the off chance that the current settings had somehow become fouled. Another full tank of premium and another fuel injector treatment as well. I also deactivated MDS just so there would be one less variable moving forward. I also used a SeaFoam treatment (which produced quite a bit more exhaust smoke than I had seen in demonstrations.)

A few days pass by again without any problems, and then the dreaded P0302 comes back once more.

OBDII leads to more questions:

I started playing around with the PID monitoring on the tuner these past few days, and I've noticed quite a few interesting things.

1. The long term fuel trim for BOTH banks 1 and 2 is consistently positive. In addition the fuel trim for bank 1 is more elevated than bank 2, I'm talking 10-14% at startup on B1 versus 5-7% on B2. Furthermore, when the RPM increases and the throttle plate opens up to let in more air then fuel trim for both banks immediately decreases. At RPM's ~4,000 or higher the LTFT for both B1 and B2 reaches 0% and even goes slightly negative.

From my understanding this would be indicative of a vacuum leak in both banks, possibly busted intake manifold bolts? As it's been explained to me a vacuum leak would cause the cylinders to run lean, for which the trim responds by going positive and delivering more gasoline. As the throttle is opened up and the ratio of air entering through the intake versus through the vacuum leak increases, the cylinders stop running so lean and the fuel trim can decrease to 0%.

2. The upstream O2 sensors on both B1 and B2 look fine. Nice periodic motions between ~800 mV to 200 mV. The downstream O2 sensors look suspect, however, with B2 appearing worse off than B1. The voltage levels off at first and adopts a nice periodic motion around ~800-700 mV that almost looks like a flat line. This stops after just a minute or two after startup (usually around the time the misfire would occur) and becomes more variable. The range of these oscillations for B1 starts to increase to about 100-200 mV, while B2 experiences even more variability as the voltage jumps around 200-400 mV.

Worded another way, the downstream O2 sensor for B1 begins to oscillate between 600-800 mV after a few minutes while the downstream O2 sensor for B2 begins to oscillate between 400-800 mV. From my understanding, the voltage of these downstream sensors should be MUCH more steady. The upstream sensors should be experiencing the large oscillations, not the downstream ones.

This makes me think that both of these sensors have become fouled with carbon, further contributing to the issues with fuel trim.

Where I stand now:

So I'm going to run a compression test soon to get some more information on this problem. I think I will be ordering new O2 sensors within the next few days as well, and I'll take a look at the intake manifold for any cracks or deformities. I'm attempting to stave off doing anything expensive until I've ruled out all other possibilities, seeing as this problem is intermittent and non-catastrophic.

The thing that has me scratching my head though is why cylinder 2? If there is indeed a vacuum leak, it would be affecting all cylinders on both banks and not just one. On top of this, a bad O2 sensor for B2 would affect all four cylinders, not just cylinder 2.

This leads me to believe there is a problem with fuel reaching cylinder 2 (I'm not an expert mechanic, just fyi) that is being compounded by other small issues/overdue maintenance items like a warped intake manifold or O2 sensors. Should I try a SeaFoam treatment for the gas tank before looking at purchasing an injector, or would the Lucas Oil treatment have already cleared a clog? Is it even worth replacing the injector or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any suggestions on where to go next or what to try would be greatly appreciated. I have my father helping me along the way but most of his experience is with older carbureted engines, and I'm learning most of this on the fly. That said, I'm a chemist in my day job so don't be afraid to get real technical.

Thanks,

spartanc

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sad to say not good news, you will be lucky if you don't have to swap Cam/Lifters. Pretty common here with that mileage and that code. I hope I'm wrong for you bud.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer I'm really hoping it's not that. I would think that the misfire would be a lot more frequent if it were the cam/lifters though, or did I just happen to catch this as a lifter is starting to lock up?

If it does need replaced what brand of parts would you recommend? Thankfully I left some room in the budget, so if I can get another 130,000 miles out of this engine after a swap then it wouldn't be a total loss.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Some easy/cheap things for you to look at: check all your exhaust manifold bolts, both on the head and the collector, any broken or loose bolts can allow oxygen into the exhaust flow and cause erratic O2 sensor readings. Swap the injectors between cylinders 2 and 4 to eliminate a fuel supply issue. I highly doubt it's an intake manifold issue but it never hurts to pull the intake manifold and have a good look over it; you need to bleed the fuel system down anyways to swap the injectors.

Unfortunately I'm also leaning towards the valvetrain with Burla as it's the most common issue.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you swapped the coil for #2 with a known good cylinder, cleared the codes then waited for the code to come back? Can do the same with the injector. Swapping components is the easiest thing to do and should be the first step in diagnosing a misfire.

I wouldn’t be worrying about fuel trims until you’ve at least done the basics.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bummer I'm really hoping it's not that. I would think that the misfire would be a lot more frequent if it were the cam/lifters though, or did I just happen to catch this as a lifter is starting to lock up?

If it does need replaced what brand of parts would you recommend? Thankfully I left some room in the budget, so if I can get another 130,000 miles out of this engine after a swap then it wouldn't be a total loss.

There was one guy here who did it himself that I know of, no easy job. It may be in DIY section, I forget but it wasn't that long ago. I know member Kap had a cluster **** of a situation. The cost you get from the dealer, you can just do a rebuild engine swap and get a 3 year warranty at a local shop. That would be what I would do, I don't have the know how on cam/lifter swaps. If you got the skills, see Moes maybe he has parts if it comes to that. Take the Cam out before you buy parts! Sometimes the cam gets stuck and that is fatal, need a new engine anyhow.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you swapped the coil for #2 with a known good cylinder, cleared the codes then waited for the code to come back? Can do the same with the injector. Swapping components is the easiest thing to do and should be the first step in diagnosing a misfire.

I wouldn’t be worrying about fuel trims until you’ve at least done the basics.

Already swapped the coils with no luck, code did not follow. Injectors are getting swapped this weekend and I'll be removing the valve cover to take a look at the valvetrain. If I don't find anything after that, then a bad lifter would be about all that is left.

There was one guy here who did it himself that I know of, no easy job. It may be in DIY section, I forget but it wasn't that long ago. I know member Kap had a cluster **** of a situation. The cost you get from the dealer, you can just do a rebuild engine swap and get a 3 year warranty at a local shop. That would be what I would do, I don't have the know how on cam/lifter swaps. If you got the skills, see Moes maybe he has parts if it comes to that. Take the Cam out before you buy parts! Sometimes the cam gets stuck and that is fatal, need a new engine anyhow.

Good suggestion, I could probably pull off a DIY swap with my father but having it professionally rebuilt and with a warranty would probably be worth the extra cost. Do you happen to know what price range a rebuild engine swap would be in?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I could wager a guess but it vastly differes per market. But you aren't there yet anyhow. You could call a couple local shops and ask them, seen as low as 6 grand up to 13 grand. wait til it dies to consider this one.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
My 2011 with 138k thru a cyl 3 misfire last week out of the blue. Has been perfect prior, zero issues and regular maintenance by me.

I changed my plugs and #3 coil pack over the weekend...much to my surprise I found very clean NGK plugs installed so no issues there (I purchased this one at 117k just over a year ago). Cleared the code and the misfire came back before I could leave my street.

Having read the worst I was prepared. I have a cam and lifters on the way. Since all this started mere days ago the idle has gotten worse and pushing anything at or above 3k rpms results in an audible tapping/knocking sound from the driver's side near cyl 3.

Ordered a fresh batch of PUP last night to change the oil as soon as new cam goes in.

Good luck, hope you don't have the same outcome.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch. But you're saying to go ahead and replace the cam/lifters either DIY or professionally, before considering any kind of swap/rebuild whatsoever? Gotcha.

Do you know if I can still get the core fee for the bad motor if the cam gets chewed up and the engine is filled with metal? Just curious, and thanks for the thoughtful responses guys!

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Ouch. But you're saying to go ahead and replace the cam/lifters either DIY or professionally, before considering any kind of swap/rebuild whatsoever? Gotcha.

Do you know if I can still get the core fee for the bad motor if the cam gets chewed up and the engine is filled with metal? Just curious, and thanks for the thoughtful responses guys!
I think I've caught it early enough to not have to deal with catastrophic engine damage. Seems to be more common than full rebuild/replacement.

I'll be doing a couple quick oil changes after new cam is installed and looking for any metal in the pan and filter.

I really didn't bother with much diagnostic time after seeing so many cases of this with identical symptoms. Should be a recall IMO.....

Never thought a "misfire" could be so serious. I traded my 04 Dakota 4.7 in with 250k original miles on engine/trans. Grrrrr......

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

I built the cam swap how-to for the 4th gens. It's honestly not that hard of a task to undertake but if it's your first time plan to do it over a weekend. Even if you've wiped a cam lobe you don't need a new engine, any shavings will end up in the oil pan and the pickup and filter will stop it from getting into the rest of your engine.

Core fee is for the block, as long as it's not cracked they'll take it back under core.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I've caught it early enough to not have to deal with catastrophic engine damage. Seems to be more common than full rebuild/replacement.

I'll be doing a couple quick oil changes after new cam is installed and looking for any metal in the pan and filter.

I really didn't bother with much diagnostic time after seeing so many cases of this with identical symptoms. Should be a recall IMO.....

Never thought a "misfire" could be so serious. I traded my 04 Dakota 4.7 in with 250k original miles on engine/trans. Grrrrr......

Yeah we have a Mini Cooper S in the family that throws misfire codes every once in a while without a serious problem being present and that engine is squirrely (putting it nicely haha,) so I was surprised reading about these Hemi's having lifter issues.

I built the cam swap how-to for the 4th gens. It's honestly not that hard of a task to undertake but if it's your first time plan to do it over a weekend. Even if you've wiped a cam lobe you don't need a new engine, any shavings will end up in the oil pan and the pickup and filter will stop it from getting into the rest of your engine.

Core fee is for the block, as long as it's not cracked they'll take it back under core.

All good information to know! I'll be taking a look through your guide tomorrow :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your thread should be a sticky, thanks for writing that up!

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your thread should be a sticky, thanks for writing that up!

Agreed! That cam swap how-to is very thorough, I'm thinking this is something I can pull off now.

I'll be sure to report back in a few days with what I find on my truck. I hate when these threads end without OP saying if the problem was fixed or not.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Good luck spartan...let us know.

I just got undeniable symptoms of my issue confirmed to be lifter hitting the cam. At barely 2500 rpm up hill the truck almost died and had to pull off. Sounded like running the engine on no oil, but just from cylinder 3.

Waiting on a tow truck to take it to the shop. Won't be driven again until it has a nice cam, new lifters and headers installed within the week.

It went from driving perfect, to throwing a simple misfire, to being undrivable within 1000 miles over the last 7 days. Fairly disgusted at this point.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate it for you Sir , but please keep us posted here which plenty of pictures !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I hate it for you Sir , but please keep us posted here which plenty of pictures !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Posting here is all I can do to keep my sanity...ROFL

I couldn't bring myself to take a pic on the roll back. The good stuff to follow....... [emoji106]

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I had this issue, I would think about replacing all lifters, valves and pistons.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck spartan...let us know.

I just got undeniable symptoms of my issue confirmed to be lifter hitting the cam. At barely 2500 rpm up hill the truck almost died and had to pull off. Sounded like running the engine on no oil, but just from cylinder 3.

Waiting on a tow truck to take it to the shop. Won't be driven again until it has a nice cam, new lifters and headers installed within the week.

It went from driving perfect, to throwing a simple misfire, to being undrivable within 1000 miles over the last 7 days. Fairly disgusted at this point.

Unfortunately I still don't have much to report. I filled up with a tank of 93 octane gasoline from BP on Thursday and haven't had a misfire since, but I'm VERY skeptical that it is at all related. My last two tanks were 91 octane from SpeedWay and I saw no difference in the problem. Maybe the Lucas Oil treatment is finally working it's way through the fuel system? Has me beat.

Anyways, I went ahead and pulled the fuel rails and intake manifold today (Saturday). Swapped the fuel injector for cylinder 2 with another injector, cleaned the surface of all of the injectors, put on new o-rings, and made sure that the intake manifold bolts were tightened to 105 in-lbs. I took a look at the intake valve for cylinder 2 when the intake manifold was off and the exterior looked fine, all nice and clean. I did not pull the valve cover off bank 2.

I'm going to wait for the P0302 code to happen again before doing a compression test and inspecting the valve train. It's been two days so far since the last misfire but I seriously doubt the problem has been fixed. We'll find out.

If I had this issue, I would think about replacing all lifters, valves and pistons.

Seems like some serious overkill. Why would you need new pistons?

I'd rather try the cheap fixes until I either find actual proof that a part needs replaced or the engine actually bites the dust like in nateinva's case. If my truck was misfiring under load or while traveling then it'd be a different story, but it doesn't seem like I'm at the same point as him yet (knock on wood.)