No Oil Additives with MDS System - engine-cylinder deactivation system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I sent an email to Lucas to find out if it OK to use Lucas Synthic Oil Stablizer in my 6.4L - No

"​Thank you for contacting us.. Do you know if your truck comes with a MDS system?(engine-cylinder deactivation system.

if it does come with this system.. we do not recommend you add anything ..

thank you"

Next Question - Is Lucas Fuel Additive OK.

"Yes, the fuel treatment is ok to use in there if you are just using regular fuel... but no oil additives... because the MDS system works of the oil viscosity..I dont recommend you use any additives. "

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Your first Question--->Answer {I myself have used the UCL many times when it is on sale} Never an issue. {Recommended Dosage}. Usually add it before a long trip to see kids at college.

As for the Oil Additive-->My Answer {Me personally would never use it}. Beyond these walls I am sure there are thousands of other Ram owners have and still do. I myself have used 1 oil additive and had Zero Issues with the MDS system {Nor did I expect any}.

The only way YOU will find an Honest/Truthful answer is to try it. Guessing and Second hand opinions mean nothing. No matter what you hear--->The Hemi was NOT built around the MDS system or an OIL Viscosity. Within the walls of BITOG there are hundreds of Ram owners who post about using some type of Oil Additives and I have Never read one stating the MDS system Imploded or Malfunctioned due to the additive.

There are So Many Myths about this system. Most have already been busted. But it has its purpose and I am sure it has it's limits.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Your first Question--->Answer {I myself have used the UCL many times when it is on sale} Never an issue. {Recommended Dosage}. Usually add it before a long trip to see kids at college.

As for the Oil Additive-->My Answer {Me personally would never use it}. Beyond these walls I am sure there are thousands of other Ram owners have and still do. I myself have used 1 oil additive and had Zero Issues with the MDS system {Nor did I expect any}.

The only way YOU will find an Honest/Truthful answer is to try it. Guessing and Second hand opinions mean nothing. No matter what you hear--->The Hemi was NOT built around the MDS system or an OIL Viscosity. Within the walls of BITOG there are hundreds of Ram owners who post about using some type of Oil Additives and I have Never read one stating the MDS system Imploded or Malfunctioned due to the additive.

There are So Many Myths about this system. Most have already been busted. But it has its purpose and I am sure it has it's limits.

What is UCL?

What I think is surprising is that Lucas is saying don't use it.

I don't understand how the MDS could be affected by the oil viscosity.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
UCL---->Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Even though I have heard rumors of their products being pretty good and some what effective. I would take their advice with a Large grain of salt. I know Shawn {Mopar EcoDiesel} PUSHED Lucas hard.

I would use a Name Brand Synthetic 40Wt and don't worry about additives--->{Just my Honest/Humble Opinion. Nothing wrong with Conventional-->Just be smart about your OCI.

I guess I best ask what viscosity your 6.4L is spec for? Please don't say 20Wt.

Don't try to over think the MDS system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
UCL---->Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Even though I have heard rumors of their products being pretty good and some what effective. I would take their advice with a Large grain of salt. I know Shawn {Mopar EcoDiesel} swore by Lucas Products.

As for the MDS and a brain of it's own? Just stay with the recommend Viscosity and never worry about the MDS but always think about & worry about the dreaded Hemi Tick! LoL!

With a Dakota with 210K miles I've used Lucas:
Power Steering stop leak
Oil Stop Leak
Transmission Fix
Gas Additive
Synthetic Oil additive

They all worked well for me.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
You don't need oil additives, most of them are just snake oil that part you from your money, I know I sold them for almost 20 years, just put in a good syn oil and change it when you should and forget all the additives from the 60's and 70's.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the big truck world Its said to dont bother with oil additives cause its hog wash...Lucus is suggested if you had fuel dilution from a streaming injector or something but otherwise dont bother..

Fuel additive....A lil more hog wash..Unless its a super cold winder and your diesel fuel is gettin to thick to run the truck...Im thinkin you dont have that problem..lol

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
90% of the "Band-Aid" in a bottle concoctions sold at retail level are worthless.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
One more thing and I will stop wasting bandwidth within this thread!

If you are Blessed to be able to afford a New Ram or any Auto for that matter.
98% of the time if YOU have Very Good & Proper Maintenance Habits you as an owner will never NEED to add any type of engine treatments or Oil Additives.

Like I stated above! If you have success using Lucas? By all means continue using them. It's your $$$ not ours your spending. The Question I am always asked--->Are They Needed? Only You the Owner can Answer That.

I have an Extreme Fetish with a Few Fuel Additives. Are they Necessary? Most Are Not! Some Prove to be pretty dam Effective. {Some} Hemi owners complain about loud injectors. I can't even hear mine. Only the Owner can truly Answer That!

For the Record and some of you who have been around here awhile know I have only added 1 oil additive---->Liqui Moly MoS2! I am one who actually gave it a chance to do what it is intended to do. I left it in for 5K miles to begin plating all the High Pressure Moving Parts. My second dose I left in for the same amount of time. I can honestly say after around the 1200 mile mark of the first dose I begin to notice a more quiet/soother idle & running motor. I liked what I was hearing and feeling! Is this actual proof that the product does what it says? No but How would an owner even begin to prove this? Anyway! After I found out the SRT 0W-40 contained a large amount of Tri-Nuclear Moly I chose to stop with the MoS2 and add the SRT 0W-40 for my Moly Fix! I have No future plans of adding MoS2 again. The SRT 0W-40 as well as the PUP 5W-30 is keeping my 5.7L remarkably quiet and smooth running! No Ticks/Clacks/Rattles/Shakes! Also keeping 18-19 mpg city and 20-22 mph interstate/highway! I am Thrilled! As of Today!

My son still adds 150ml of MoS2 every oil change with his 5.4L 3V FX4. Really quieted down the front of that motor.

Dexter: I am curious! What oil viscosity is printed on your Oil Cap?

Last edited: