Oil filter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsanorton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
drained my oil and went to change my oil filer. I had bought 2 new ones, one came with a oil deal and I bought a motorcraft. both the same size physically. When I went to take off the old one it was much smaller in diameter, it is a M500 mighty guard 2. The new motorcraft is Fl-820S, has the same thread and same size oil seal so does the other new filter. Filled the new one with oil, put it on and ran the engine for a few minutes, no leaks, pressure is great. Was that a cheapy filter on or do I have the wrong new filters. I ordered one online and the other the parts counter guy pulled up. Interesting, but I want to make sure. BTW I live in FL and he said to the computer said 5W30 instead of 5W20. that ok?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Norton: I am not to familiar with the 4.7L but after looking a few things up...

For the oil filters you have on hand-->Use the FL-820S for your normal 5K-8K mile OCI... {Great Filter}... it cross references with the Mopar MO-899...

Depending how **** you are? There are 3 more robust and efficient filters too choice out there-->{Synthetic Media}... Royal Purple & the Fram Ultra XG2 or Mobil 1 MO-210... Mind You-->This all depends how **** you are about your 4.7L and Oil Changes...

Now you will get thousands of opinions and thoughts and advice on your Oil Brand and Viscosity... I did some reading on this motor... There are alot of comments about this motor having sludge issues... There are so many this issue is tough to ignore... I personally would keep my OCI around the 5K mark { I personally would not go past 5K miles on your OCI}...

You never said anything about your oil brand choice {which might be a good thing}! I personally would use 5W-30 or 0W-30... Many comments I read state this engine is not quiet by no means so a thicker viscosity oil just might help quiet some of the noise... I might being just me use a 10W-30! I just poured in PP 10W-30 in my wifes & daughters 2012 Ford Edges and really quieted down the 3.5L in both... Really Impressive...{Both Call for 5W-20}... Wife just arrived back from a 421 mile round trip averaged 27 mpg with the 10W-30...

I would chose an oil that has a higher then average detergent package and keep my OCI at least around the 5K mile range...

This is a great place to familiarize yourself with what exactly is within todays oil brands...

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

If you only use conventional oils-->Check into PYB 5W-30... If you chose the 30wt version... Great Cleaning Additive Package + an A$$ load of Moly!! Even the 5W-20 version would be a great choice if you chose to stay with the 20Wt version... Quaker State is a sister oil of the PYB and also has great cleaning abilities as well as a healthy dose of Moly!

I do apologize if I posted more info then you wanted... Once I get going-->I am a Rambling Mess! BUT-->Once again ALL of This is Only MY Humble Honest Opinions! Nothing More...

Since I posted prepare for all kinds of others posting and contradicting & ridiculing my opinions and thoughts... I do apologize again...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bsanorton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Syn on the confirmation of the choice of new filter and recommendations. Will do on the 5K change. That's what I was thinking. Sludge problem? oy! Can't seem to get away from that bsa's were notorious for that, that's why I always stick to Nortons, LOL!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
norton: Don't get to hung up on the sludge issue... It might just be directed at the older versions of the 4.7L...

Just stay within 5K mile OCI & use an Name Brand oil with a good detergent package and enjoy her!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
How do ppl feel about AMsoil?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I'm interested in the 30 wt question myself. I may try it out on my next change.

Don't see a lot of the fourth gen 4.7L oil topics. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bsanorton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Syn, for some reason I didn't your whole post, wow, thanks for the input. I used Castrol Edge synthetic 5W/30 today simply because it was on sale and included a filter. I use mainly mobil 1 in my bikes or Castrol syn because of the availability. I think I have used all of the listed ones in the survey.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Both those oils you mentioned can easily run 7K and Depending on your driving style & habits up to 10K miles...

Conventional oils I would keep between 5K-7K...

This is my first truck with a OLM and after I read all the actual factors it looks at and considers-->I will follow it with full confidence...

Last edited: