Redline engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking for places to buy redline for my next oil change. I noticed that the redline bottles do not say it is API certified.

My truck manual says that lubricants that do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct sae viscosity should not be used.

This is confusing to me. It seems that people here on the forum really recommend redline oil but it doesn't seem to meet the manuals requirement.

Please help me understand this.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manual also says to use 0W20 and thats been proven to be the worse oil you can put in the HEMI...lol...

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From my understanding Redline and PUP are the only oils that have the highest level of molybdenum to lubricate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would suggest Valvoline for you, get 0w20 and your API donut and live happily ever after.

OP
OP
S

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My manual says to put 5w20 engine oil.

What is PUP?

I am interested in redline because of what I have read here on the moly content.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, you seam to be interested in a gov't donut, so go get one. Valvoline 5w20 then, great API donut for you. Since 1992 the gov't required low zinc to get a API donut, Redline says forget that **** Zinc is good ****. Many other oils bowed down to get the donut. So there is a donut for you, or you can get some old school oil.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look on Redline's site they have a dealer locator. I looked at that and then looked up if anyone locally sold the auto oil as most local places that sold Redline only carried the motorsports line. I found one shop that carried the auto line and it was actually cheaper than amazon. Most people buy it online but depends where you live if you have dealer I guess.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sanch: Here is my belief!
Many probably don't agree, but that is not my concern!

The Manual is only a Simple Guideline!
Not a Ram Bible!

At work we have over 258 guidelines that the operations department follows. We are constantly upgrading these due to they were created by the engineers whom which NEVER put the gloves on & physically go outside to perform the work by these guidelines! Will not comment anymore on that matter (gets my Blood Pressure way to high).

Red Line is one of the Robust / Stoutest Synthetic Oils on the market today. It has Proven to be a very important/valuable product to combat the so called 5.7L MDS lifter tick. It literally quites this tick.

Any Oil / filter questions can be directed within the Synthetic Oil Thread.
There are more then a handful of members who will be more then happy to share their knowledge to answer any future questions.

API basically means government controlled!
That basically Scares the living **** out of me!

PUP = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
The SRT 0W-40 within this brand is the magic elixir.
Synthetic Oil Thread will explain all of this!
You just have to spend some time reading!
Most don't like doing this!
They want the Answers Now!

Those that never really take the time to read through the whole synthetic oil thread will never really understand the reasoning and the logic behind all of our answers.
I feel understanding what were saying is very very important not just hearing it.

Somewhat like the old commercial------>{ it's my money and I want it now. }
Sad thing these are the ones who never want to work for it!

Most like spending $2K-$12K on performance mods for their Rams.
I enjoy spending $100-$200 on performance oils / ATF / Gear Oils & Filters for mine! Nothing more then that!

If you do not at this present time have the so-called hemi tick your oil options are not limited to redline!

One thing to always remember not one of these 5.7L were or are built exactly alike they are all different!
Yes they are built with basically the same parts these parts are not identical (Blue Printed) to which they will have their own personalities.

This is all just my opinion and thoughts nothing more! One thing you will grow to understand I am not normal! Thank God.

Last edited:

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
PUP PENZOIL ULTIMATE PLATINUM

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I read that entire Synthetic oil thread. It took weeks doing it in my spare time, during commercials with an iPad, etc. But I was buying / had just bought a new truck and wanted to know everything there was to know.

It's very educational and well worth the time.

OP
OP
S

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information fellas.

I have read through some of the synthetic thread. but at almost 800 pages, I didn't know when my question would be answered.

Reactions: SyN

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
SyN and Burla and RLK and everyone else who contributes to the Synthetic Oil Thread, has taken their time and MONEY to do the research to figure out what works best and what works for them.

I personally use Amsoil SS 5W-30, but I have not had the "tick" while using it. If I do, I'm going to switch to a formulation of 0W-40 and 5W-30 Amsoil SS, or PUP or Redline, because it's been proven to work.

We have the data to back up our claim on what works best and what doesn't. Read the thread, you will be enlightened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the information fellas.

I have read through some of the synthetic thread. but at almost 800 pages, I didn't know when my question would be answered.

Sometimes finding all your answers takes a lot of Diligent / Persistent work and patience!
Good Luck! You are closer than what you think.

You can direct your questions within the oil thread and I can almost guarantee you will receive many knowledgeable answers in your direction that you're wanting to go.

I don't and never have a issue or problem with members or owners wanting to follow by the manual. And I never have and never will ridicule them for that. That is their choice!
I only exercise my other options.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't want my value system to take over some guy who wants to do what the manual says. I don't want to detract from that, many guys want to do what the book says. It is a valid point to choose a different oil that has an API donut. But even PUP that has the API donut isn't what the forum suggests using because the weight 0w40 would be way over what the "book" suggests. Valvoline 5w20 with a Mopar filter would satisfy the book. You still can represent your choice in the synthetic oil thread. You may have the longest lasting hemi around with that combo and teach us all something. GL

Smiley Loves Valvoline!

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Burla I'm thinking about doing my own oil changes after the last free one from the dealership. I'm going to try synthetic oil. What is the best oil filter to use. I want to use the one best for the job. You seem real knowledgeable about them, so that is why I'm asking you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, I invite you to join the Syn thread, we take all questions over there and we've been discussing filters in the last 10 pages. As for oil filter, I personally use Royal Purple but Fram Ultra, Amsoil AE, Wix XP, or Napa Platinum all have spun microglass and they are not paper. Synthetic filters last a lot longer then paper, just like synthetic oils.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey Burla I'm thinking about doing my own oil changes after the last free one from the dealership. I'm going to try synthetic oil. What is the best oil filter to use. I want to use the one best for the job. You seem real knowledgeable about them, so that is why I'm asking you.

Look st the oil thread as suggested. Also consider your oci when making these decisions.

Last edited:

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Look st the oil thread as suggested. A lot so consider your oci when making these decisions.
What is the specific terms for the synthetic oil forum for the Ram hemi. I am not finding any recent posts

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk