Routing through Firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im in the process of thinking of a way to route my nitrous line (about 1/4 inch thick) its -4AN line, through the firewall and into the engine bay. Now the hole that i used for my fogs and nitrous electrical in my opinion is way to tight to fit the nitrous line through. Im really looking for some help from you guys. Any opinions, advise? Thanks

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
anytime i ran something from the cab through the firewall i went through the clutch blank off plate.

I was running 4 ga. power wire from my amp. if that helps on size of wire.

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea they should be around the same size, only if i knew exactly where the clutch blank off plate is haha.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
stick your head down under the steering wheel and look at the brake pedal and then look to the left where a clutch would be in your truck was a standard. There should be a plastic plate there. You might have to pull the carpet down some.

Now this plate was there on 3rd gens, but i have not even looked on my 4th gen, but i'm sure others can chime in to confirm that its there or not.

mile_high

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd go through the floor near the bottle and run the majority outside the cab. If you do it right, there will be a pressure relief vent outside the truck too. Regardless, I'd use a grommet (not electrical tape or something else cheesy) to protect the -4 line where it penetrates the cab to avoid an accidental A/C blast.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
4th Gens have the clutch plate.
If you're not gonna do a blow down tube through the floor then put the bottle in the bed.
If the burst disc ever ruptures you're ****** and so is your truck.
I've seen cars popped open like an old can of biscuits from bottles blowing off...and saw one kid die. Don't **** around with high pressure containers like a nitrous bottle.

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea i found the clutch plate, would i drill a hole through it?
I have the bottle mounted behind the passenger seat, i have the blow down tube but no idea where to route the blow down tube through the cab to the outside of the truck. I like the easy access to the bottle. mounting in the bed is still an option

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd go through the floor near the bottle and run the majority outside the cab. If you do it right, there will be a pressure relief vent outside the truck too. Regardless, I'd use a grommet (not electrical tape or something else cheesy) to protect the -4 line where it penetrates the cab to avoid an accidental A/C blast.

The right size grommet should keep debris from getting inside the truck?

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
You do know that a nitrous bottle has a siphon tube in it, right?
The reason to mount them angle up with the bottle facing forward is to keep the tube submerged in the liquid nitrous. Mounting them sideways will cause them to suck air when the bottle gets low and you're accelerating quickly.
I know people do it...doesn't mean it's done right.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Looks like a perfect fit back there. And yes, just drill through that plate. Dont drill the hole any bigger than you have to in order to get the hose through there. And you can find a ton of different size grommets at just about any parts store.

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do know that a nitrous bottle has a siphon tube in it, right?
The reason to mount them angle up with the bottle facing forward is to keep the tube submerged in the liquid nitrous. Mounting them sideways will cause them to suck air when the bottle gets low and you're accelerating quickly.
I know people do it...doesn't mean it's done right.

Yes i do know that the nitrous bottle has a siphon tube in it. And it is angled down away from the nitrous bottle label. Which is a reason i have placed the bottle in the brackets in a 45 degree angle so the siphon tube is angled to the back of the bottle to pick up nitrous during acceleration. the bottle angle due to the mounting brackets should still push the nitrous to the bottom (opposite of the nozzle) of the bottle where the siphon tube can pick it up.

That should work right?

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like a perfect fit back there. And yes, just drill through that plate. Dont drill the hole any bigger than you have to in order to get the hose through there. And you can find a ton of different size grommets at just about any parts store.

Alright cool, Thanks again Matt. Should be finishing it up soon. I was only able to work on it two nights when i went back home, now that im back in brenham its hard to get the space and time to do it. But the main kit is ready. All that is left is the accessories, excluding the purge kit. I installed the purge when the main kit went on. bottle heater ect. still need to be installed.

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i do not plan to have the bottle in the cab other than at the track or at night on the street, is the blow down tube necessary?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It will still work the way you have it. Just about all of the hemi truck guys have mounted their bottle sideways like that because of the space available in the cab. While it is more ideal to have it facing front to back, the way you have it is fine...as long as you make sure the bottle is turned so that the bottom of the siphon tube is facing down and back.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Blow down tube is only necessary if the bottle is in the cab. Many tracks will require you to have a blow down tube if your bottle is in the cab or else you wont pass tech. Your bottle heater is regulated, so that is a plus knowing that you dont have to worry about forgetting to turn it off. That is where most guys screw up...they leave the bottle heater on by accident, and the pressure inside gets so high to the point that it blows.

OP
OP
Darkknight3829

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright cool, i cant wait. i believe my whole first bottle is going to all be committed to purging people when next to them.. as long as no law enforcement is nearby lol