firewall insulation removal and replacing... I have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20230721_111902.jpg

I am getting ready to tear my blown motor out and put the built motor in. I have done a fair amount of work to make the engine pretty and clean up wiring. The factory joke of a firewall insulation looks like trash (2004 to now is a LONG time) and cant stay because I hate the look of it. I have looked around on giggle to see what I can find. There are a few high-ish dollar products out there, but with lots of people going without 3-500 seems crazy. The other issue I am having with that silly search engine is that 75% of all results are for sound deadening inside the cab, not keeping the heat out of my cab. I do plan on running butyl rubber on my interior to get rid of road noise, but Im not counting on it to be much of a thermal insulator.

So my brain got to thinking and now I have questions from anyone with experience:
-Engine and caliper paints have ceramics in them. I doubt there is much ceramic in there honestly, but it might be better than having nothing. Any input on this idea?
-Secondskin makes a product called thermal block that is thin self adhesive and good to 800degrees supposedly. I have ZERO experience with any of these types of stuff. Definitely would like some info from anyone that has used it or something like it.
-DEI makes an aluminum type product that is a pretty flat-black looking, specifically designed for engine bays and tunnels. I count this as a pricey fix as 42x48 is 300 bucks. If this is the bees knees, the cats pajamas, then maybe it is worth the price tag. Again, I would love input from anyone with experience.
-Last but not least... am I overthinking this? Like I mentioned lots of guys are running without anything in there. My thoughts are that my truck is dark colored and I live in Florida. Every single BTU I keep out of the truck means the AC will be more effective.

retrogames4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Good question, and for what it's worth. I'm going to be pulling my engine in the next few weeks, shaving and painting the entire engine bay including firewall. I'm planning to leave it bare paint and go with it. Granted I have the SRT-10 hood which inhales a ton of fresh air back to that area of the engine bay, but like you I've seen plenty just leave it bare.