Royal purple filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Don't shoot! Just asking which part number oil filter do y'all run? I knowticed 2 different part numbers and I have used the search and I can't find a definitive answer.

Side question not trying to start anything, will it hurt to switch from high mileage to synthetic I'm not a 100% sure but I believe the guy I bought it from said he ran high mileage oil and unless it's leaking I would prefer not to I just don't want to hurt anything in the process. I know how these oil threads get so please keep it simple just want to know if it actually messes anything up by switching.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed my oil at 1000 miles using the RB 10 48 filter and have noticed that occasionally the lifters tap for about 6 seconds after startup. Only when its cold and happens maybe once a week. Doesn't matter how or where the trucks sitting or how cold it got.

It didn't happen at all during the first 1000 miles. I just turned over 3000.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my oil at 1000 miles using the RB 10 48 filter and have noticed that occasionally the lifters tap for about 6 seconds after startup. Only when its cold and happens maybe once a week. Doesn't matter how or where the trucks sitting or how cold it got.

It didn't happen at all during the first 1000 miles. I just turned over 3000.

Some filters do that, although I didn't think the RP filters did. You can swap filters to another brand, I've had good luck with wix and mopar.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive used wix-xp, stock mopar mobil1 ep and fram ultra with several oils and all have allowed that fast few second tick on occasion. the rp# for the short filter for newer rams 5.7 is a 10-48 have one sitting here for my next change. So far fram ultra sys and wix-xp have done best mobil1 was ok too

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok the 2 I'm seeing is 20-500 or 20-820? Is there a difference between the 09-12 and 13+?

Edit: I would crawl under the truck and cross reference the one on there but its been raining for a week stright.

Last edited:

VectorZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok the 2 I'm seeing is 20-500 or 20-820? Is there a difference between the 09-12 and 13+?

Edit: I would crawl under the truck and cross reference the one on there but its been raining for a week stright.

Mine is also a 2014. Just buy the 10-48 and it'll fit perfectly.

Attachments

• rp.jpg
    rp.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 13-16 rams have electric power steering which makes use of the 09-12 bigger filters harder to get on and off so they switched to a shorter filter. There are guys who do use the bigger filters it's just harder to get them on. The shorter filters work just as good or better than the old long versions the correct royal p filter for 13 up Rams is the 10-48

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I used to use the Wix XP filters, have my last one of those on the wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee (Hemi) right now. I've recently switched to the Mopar SRT filters. One of those and Pennzoil Ultra sure did quiet down my Ram's Hemi compared to the bulk "dino" oil and cheapo-generic filter the Ford dealership used where I got the truck.

Whether the smaller filters that Mopar calls for on the newer Rams filter as well as the large ones is debated now and then. Personally, I simply use the larger SRT filters because I believe they are one of the best ones out there for our engines. But picking a filter is like asking "what are the best tires", you're going to get a lot of opinions. :)

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The 13-16 rams have electric power steering which makes use of the 09-12 bigger filters harder to get on and off so they switched to a shorter filter. There are guys who do use the bigger filters it's just harder to get them on. The shorter filters work just as good or better than the old long versions the correct royal p filter for 13 up Rams is the 10-48

So which one for the 09-12 my newish truck is a 10. Should I run the 10-48 or the 20-820?

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When I bought my '13 it was an early build model that I found later that year and got a stinking deal on. Anyway, the factory had put the larger filter on and I can see why they went to the smaller one. With the electronic power steering getting the larger one out, without making a mess, was a little tricky. The smaller one I don't have nay problems.

As for lifter noise. I don't get any tapping, or very faint, for a few moments if the truck has been sitting for several days.

I've also had an oil analysis done at 5k change and at a 10k change and the oil was still good with almost nothing in it. Since I now work from home I will be doing 5k changes as I will not be putting nearly the miles on it I did in the past.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've been using the 20-820 on my 14 with no problems,don't find it any harder then any other filter to get in or out. Cut a 2 litre pop bottle down and slide it over the filter when you remove it to catch most of the oil,you're still gonna have a mess,and need a carwash run to,but it helps catch some of the oil.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
either will work, short is a 10-48 long is a 20-820

My mistake... I always thought the filters for 2009-2012 were longer, I just bought one and they are bigger around not longer, went right on no problem... it does lower your oil pressure a pound or two.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jason: You are 100% right! Bringing up the subject of Oil & Filter choice is like bringing up the subject of Religion!!

Some owners get very offensive and dam right belligerent if you don't use the same brand and filter they use... They for some reason have the silly notion they are using the BEST and others should bow down to them and follow.... With them NEVER posting a bit of actual data showing the use of their favorite combo will provide your engine the ultimate protection well over 200K miles... Especially when the owner they are PREACHING too has 2 autos using another combo and already has achieved well over 400K miles on both... It is very hard finding the Polite Words to say-->****!!!

Luckly This Forum is full of Understanding/Caring/Polite/Considerate/Folks! I commend Them All!!

I myself have been pondering the thought of trying one of the SRT Filters... Many Scat Pack owners really talk them up... I am curious about the Oil psi while using one... Might order one today and try it with my summer oil change...

SORRY FOR THE SUBJECT SWITCH--->Continue with RP Filters... Shame on Me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Jason: You are 100% right! Bringing up the subject of Oil & Filter choice is like bringing up the subject of Religion!!

Some owners get very offensive and dam right belligerent if you don't use the same brand and filter they use... They for some reason have the silly notion they are using the BEST and others should bow down to them and follow.... With them NEVER posting a bit of actual data showing the use of their favorite combo will provide your engine the ultimate protection well over 200K miles... Especially when the owner they are trying to convince has 2 autos using another combo and already has achieved well over 400K miles on both... It is very hard finding the Polite Words to say-->****!!!

Luckly This Forum is full of Understanding/Caring/Polite/Considerate/Folks! I commend Them All!!

I myself have been pondering the thought of trying one of the SRT Filters... Many Scat Pack owners really talk them up... I am curious about the Oil psi while using one... Might order one today and try it with my summer oil change...

SORRY FOR THE SUBJECT SWITCH--->Continue with RP Filters... Shame on Me!

Carry on I got my question answered I just don't want it to turn into mines better than yours. Like you said people get very defensive about the oil and filters when it comes to these hemi's, I had a f-150 with conventional oil and wix filters make it to 300k with out a engine problem before I traded it off. The main thing I want is to quite my hemi down some I know they are generally a Noisey engine I have owned 3 hemi's and all sounded the same my buddy had had 2 and sound the same along with this dad's truck and challenger same.