S&B intake mixed up parts from factory? FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK.. got this ordered in from Moe's (and they are awesome guys.. no complaints there!)... and went to do the install today on my 2013 ram 2500 power wagon 5.7.

First several steps went fine... then things started to go to crap.

There are A LOT OF ISSUES with the parts that came out of the S&B Cold air intake kit box... Parts that do not appear to be able to in any way fit together. I am hoping/assuming that this was all just a big mix up from their factory, and S&B (via Moe's? haven't called them yet.. waiting til monday) will send me a new, CORRECT kit where all the pieces fit.

Case in point.. in the following pics, you can see that the clear plastic cover does not fit the top. If you line up the hole near the front edge, fender side, the rear hole cannot be aligned.
ALSO> the screws are the wrong size! Directions say 1/4x20 phillips head screws with rubber washers... see pics! Back holes? TOO SMALL... front holes TOO BIG! The screw kit that came in the box is too large for the rear holes.. but will slide in and out of the front holes...

back%20top%20screw_zpsjo56zwve.jpg

front%20top%20screw_zpsikgjpbdb.jpg

mismatch%20top_zpsptiffcyv.jpg

See next post for more!

OP
OP
E

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Next... the side plate the filter attaches too? It cannot possibly be correct to this kit...

First, when you install the filter? you practically need to crush the filter to get it to fit into the box... and have that side plate "close". see red arrows in pics below

The side plate is not straight across the bottom, and has some sort of "tab" that sticks out... with no corresponding slot or similar for it to fit into. the bottom edge of the airbox is flat, not angled.. so there would be a gap of about 1 to 1.5 inch running across the bottom of the side plate.. letting air into the box from the engine bay ( see pics)

The side plate... when down far enough to stick the screws into (the screws dont fit the holes.. but regardless...) still has a wide open gap of about 1.5" inches across the bottom of the airbox. You can see right thru the gap and into the engine bay.. see pics.

I stuck two undersized bolts into the holes to try an align the side plate to the air box... when I did this, the air filter was under stress... and the air tube was at an angle, and too short to come close to reaching the TB.

bottom%20front%20no%20fit_zpsd5scimro.jpg

bottom%20back%20no%20fit_zpsqasdpkfn.jpg

no%20fit%20areas_zpscifc0pvv.jpg

no%20fit%20areas%203_zpsm3ojrbht.jpg

not%20straight%20tab_zpsmbyqdycm.jpg

OP
OP
E

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, this is what I am left with currently.. the only way to get the truck running with a "sealed" air filter. The only way to get the air tube to connect to the throttle body and the air filter is to do as you see.

no%20fit%20final%20assembly_zpscleywbgg.jpg

I am sure that S&B, with their reputation, has simply made an error... maybe boxed up a few wrong parts...

My problem is.. I need the truck.. I can't sit here for a week waiting for someone at S&B to figure it out and send something ground to rectify it AFTER I send the parts back. I will literally have to park my daily driver for a week.

Or.. I will have to take all this out, and re install all the factory parts, again, which no offense is a pain in the butt.

Again... this is not MOE's fault.. they sell a product that is sealed at the factory, and cannot possibly be aware of it.

Thoughts? Anyone dealt with S&B before? Anyone else seen anything like this?

OP
OP
E

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I was supposed to get... see the side plate that the air filter and air tube attach to? See how it is longer, flat across the bottom and has no tab? Then look at mine.. angled.. tab...

Also, in pics... it shows small screws in back, large in front... not the screw kit I received in the box...

75-5064_pic2_1_zpsp58lsij5.jpg

RamNSubie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on going with the s&b. This is mostly based on reviews and my uncles recommendation after he put one in his truck.

Missing/incorrect parts happen from time to time, from every company. I've seen it on $6-7000 turbo kits for cars.

I am quite sure S&B will work with you. I'd put the factory intake back in.

When i buy something like this i do a bit of pre-assembly making sure everything fits properly before any dis assembly.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely shoot Matt at Moe's a pm, asap. Moe's service is excellent and I'm sure Matt will be very quick at taking care of this for you.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Ed, this happened to me once on a kit I installed for a local customer. It was just the front cover where the intake tube attaches that was packaged wrong. S&B likes to work with the customer direct, so give them a call first thing Monday. Ask for Karl Levy, or you can also email him direct at [email protected]. He may just ask you for a copy of your receipt from us, but he will get the correct part out for you.

OP
OP
E

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool.. I was hoping it was something as simple as a part swap... once I get the side plate and a screw kit, I have a feeling it will just screw right in!

This was why I was specific that this has zero to do with Moe's... and was definitely a factory error. The parts come in bags, with no part numbers on them, packed into a box. The wrong screw bag made it into the kit as well!

I was not trashing S&B... just trying to make head & tails.. and to see if this had happened to others!

I am definitely NOT putting the old stuff back in... 2 hours bent over in a wheel well or over the fender on a ladder is good enough for my 42 year old lower back... haha.. maybe 10 years ago!

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yikes... I'm sure S&B will get you squared away but frustrating none the less!

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Another reason to buy a drop K&n air filter besides they don't make any difference.