Stroker/Head/Cam/intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to pull the trigger on a rod/piston stroker kit with a cam(not sure which grind), ported heads and intake. I plan on pulling the motor for ease of installation. What complications will arise and what power increase should I expect. Also, I have a Hemifever tune already installed and will contact Sean for any tunes he may offer for these mods.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
We'd need to know what size stroker kit, compression ratio, and cam to give you an idea of expected power levels. Figure out what cam you are going to go with now because that will determine if you need to do anything else to the valve train like swapping lifters, type of spings required, pushrod length, etc. Are you building it yourself or having a shop do it?

Have a look through my build log if you want an idea of what's involved with doing the engine swap in the 4th gens. Plan on a fuel pump upgrade and possibly an injector upgrade; you'll be on the edge depending on what displacement you go with. Make sure you have a wideband and AFR for proper tuning.

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would really like the 392 stroker kit myself, but I'm on the fence about just going with the 6.1 block.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We'd need to know what size stroker kit, compression ratio, and cam to give you an idea of expected power levels. Figure out what cam you are going to go with now because that will determine if you need to do anything else to the valve train like swapping lifters, type of spings required, pushrod length, etc. Are you building it yourself or having a shop do it?

Have a look through my build log if you want an idea of what's involved with doing the engine swap in the 4th gens. Plan on a fuel pump upgrade and possibly an injector upgrade; you'll be on the edge depending on what displacement you go with. Make sure you have a wideband and AFR for proper tuning.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 392 stroker kit, A Crower Stroked Eagle cam(.556 lift, 224/232 duration) and a set of ported Eagle heads. I spoke with someone at Modermuscle and they were very informative. I just wanted to get input from an actual user of the items. I will check out your build. I am having a friend help with pulling the motor and rebuild, while another friend will help with bodywork and paint.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your first question was asking about power increases yet you say Modernmuscle was very informative.

Lol it doesn't sound like they were very informative

Why not. They informed me about the strenght of the stock crank and since I am staying NA, I did not need to spend the extra $1600 for the stroker kit with a crank. Also, they told me about the ported intake they offer( I did not know they were available for the Rams')
As far as power increases, I just wanted to know if people had performed a dyno run and is it a marked difference.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Do they not know how much power their own kit makes? I feel like you should RUN from this company.

You must not know who Modern Muscle is as they're one of the top 4 engine builders/suppliers for the hemi community alongside Arrington, HHP, and Inertia. MM's been serving the hemi community from the early days of the Gen III Hemi and is the reason we can do a piston/rod swap on the 5.7L without needing to swap in a forged crank.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Why not. They informed me about the strenght of the stock crank and since I am staying NA, I did not need to spend the extra $1600 for the stroker kit with a crank. Also, they told me about the ported intake they offer( I did not know they were available for the Rams')
As far as power increases, I just wanted to know if people had performed a dyno run and is it a marked difference.

They port match the plastic intakes on the trucks but it's not that common a mod which is why you don't hear about it that much. Are you picking up a 6.4L based block with forged rods/pistons then because that's the only way I can see getting a 392 without changing the crankshaft over for the longer required stroke in a 5.7L based block. You'll have a very noticable difference in power with the larger displacement and most 392 trucks with the 5/6 speed make 450-500rwhp with almost equal torque numbers. One thing I'll say is make sure they know to set it up for a truck since the oil pickup tube bolts further back on the main bearings compared to the cars.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They port match the plastic intakes on the trucks but it's not that common a mod which is why you don't hear about it that much. Are you picking up a 6.4L based block with forged rods/pistons then because that's the only way I can see getting a 392 without changing the crankshaft over for the longer required stroke in a 5.7L based block. You'll have a very noticable difference in power with the larger displacement and most 392 trucks with the 5/6 speed make 450-500rwhp with almost equal torque numbers. One thing I'll say is make sure they know to set it up for a truck since the oil pickup tube bolts further back on the main bearings compared to the cars.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I was incorrect in stating it will be a 392, but I do not want to change the crank.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So if you don't want to change the crank, how is it going to be a stroker?

Seriously, RUN from who ever you are listening to. I'm scared for your wallet.

Modern Muscle may be talking to him about moving up to the 6.4L block, which bolts right in place of the 5.7L block and can even use all the same accessories and intake manifold; in that case it wouldn't need to change the crank since it's already 392cuin. When I talked to MM about my new kit we were talking about a 6.4L based stroker to replace my 5.7L engine.