Torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I got a 2800 stall converter, the truck will only go whenever the rpms reach 2800 correct?

I plan on also getting a deep trans pan but how harder will this be on a 5 speed tranny? Will is cause a lot more wear and tear ?

Will part throttle be any different and what about when I am already going 50mph and then throttle it

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These are still lockup converters, so at part throttle it will feel just like it does now. When you go wide open throttle though, is when the tack will flash to 2800rpm before the tires start to turn.

The converter is not going to put any extra wear on your transmission...but you will more that likely be driving the truck harder with the new found tq off the line.

DO NOT go wide open throttle from a 50mph roll unless you manually downshift it into 2nd or 3rd gear first. That harsh downshift when you try going wide open throttle from highway speeds with the truck in drive is what will kill your transmission.

OP
OP
R

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought it was bad to down shift while moving

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Its bad to let it downshift automatically...its OK if you manually downshift it yourself.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those rules apply to 6 speed only correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Those rules apply to 6 speed only correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applies to both the 5sp and 6sp transmissions. 8sp trucks can pretty much drive them however you want.

OP
OP
R

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't manually down shifted in long time , but it sounds like the Rome spike real high when I do it

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Its bad to let it downshift automatically...its OK if you manually downshift it yourself.
I'm assuming you mean *IF* you have a 2800 stall in it? Makes sense because it would be similar to doing a "Neutral Drop". Just wanted to clarify... the post kind of seemed to suggest to me that downshifting automatically in any situation was bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm assuming you mean *IF* you have a 2800 stall in it? Makes sense because it would be similar to doing a "Neutral Drop". Just wanted to clarify... the post kind of seemed to suggest to me that downshifting automatically in any situation was bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doesnt matter if you are bone stock or have 600hp and a 4000 stall converter...the 545RFE and 65RFE do not handle WOT downshifts very well at all. I know more than 200 people from stock to modified that have blown their transmissions because they let it automatically downshift out of overdrive on the highway.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup haha, its happened to me twice now.. stomp on the go pedal to pass someone and then downshift and major slipping occures, metal in the pan and onto the next transmission :( the other 2 failures were just random

OP
OP
R

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much does the a new transmission cost for these trucks?

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well I had my first 3 replacments done under warranty because I had a hookup at dodge but my 4th replacment I bought from rockauto for around 2500$ plus core cost of $2000 but I got that back

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Doesnt matter if you are bone stock or have 600hp and a 4000 stall converter...the 545RFE and 65RFE do not handle WOT downshifts very well at all. I know more than 200 people from stock to modified that have blown their transmissions because they let it automatically downshift out of overdrive on the highway.

Alright. First off, where is the proof to back up this claim? This is factually incompetent gibberish. If it were true that actual owners were using these transmissions as designed and they failed as consistently as you say they do, Chrysler would no longer be in business. Period. That or at the very least, they wouldn't be putting these transmissions in anything. We're not all idiots and non-mechanics in here.

I've owned 60+ cars, from classic street rods and muscle cars to new pickups to family cars to factory performance cars and everything in between, foreign and domestic. I normally only shift manually for engine braking down mountain passes, especially if towing and on the rare occasion that I'm messing around burning rubber on the street. I have never... not even one time had a transmission problem in any of my vehicles. I properly maintain them and don't abuse them.

For someone to claim they "know" over 200 people is a stretch to begin with. For someone to claim they "know more than 200 people from stock to modified that have blown their transmissions because they let it automatically downshift out of overdrive on the highway" is just plain ridiculous babble! Especially when you narrow that down to two specific transmissions.

If you can show me one quote from ANY auto manufacturer OR transmission manufacturer that says you should not allow the transmission to downshift automatically from highway speeds, or any speed for that matter, or damage will occur, I will concede. That, or any actual service write-up, warranty claim, TSB, or anything official citing that this has actually happened. You did say it didn't matter if it were stock or not. Otherwise, you have lost all credibility in my eyes. As a vendor, you should choose your words carefully. People like to think they can rely on you for credible information and sound advice.

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright. First off, where is the proof to back up this claim? This is factually incompetent gibberish. If it were true that actual owners were using these transmissions as designed and they failed as consistently as you say they do, Chrysler would no longer be in business. Period. That or at the very least, they wouldn't be putting these transmissions in anything. We're not all idiots and non-mechanics in here.

Agreed.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
well I had my first 3 replacments done under warranty because I had a hookup at dodge but my 4th replacment I bought from rockauto for around 2500$ plus core cost of $2000 but I got that back

If you are on the 5th transmission in a three year old pickup, you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Rampant, do a little research on any Ram truck forum out there. I have built and raced these trucks for 13 years. I have more than 10,000 Hemi truck customers, and have lost count of how many guys have blown their transmissions...many of them have lost multiple transmissions on the same truck. I went through 3 on my own 03 Ram before we figured out that the downshift out of overdrive into 2nd gear was the culprit. Since figuring that out, I have not lost a single transmission...even my current 2011 Ram that makes roughly 600rwhp and ran 11.0 @ 120mph is on a stock transmission because I NEVER allow it to automatically downshift out of overdrive into 2nd.

My post was to intended to help others so that they dont go through the same trouble that so many other guys have had to go through in these trucks since they started using the 545RFE/65RFE with the Hemi motor. Drive your truck however you wish. If you want to ensure that you do not have any transmission trouble, then I highly suggest you take my advice.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you are on the 5th transmission in a three year old pickup, you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Or he's running a 12psi edelbrock and a big cam through a transmission that's only expected to handle up to 400ft-lb of torque input. If was easy to swap transmissions on these trucks it would be a different story and we'd be dropping built 727s or 4L80s in all day but having what would normally be separate ECM/TCM in the single PCM makes life a lot harder to do that if you want to integrate it properly into the truck. It can be done but nobody has a ready made bolt-in package to do that and very few shops are willing to do the custom work required.

Rampant, do a little research on any Ram truck forum out there. I have built and raced these trucks for 13 years. I have more than 10,000 Hemi truck customers, and have lost count of how many guys have blown their transmissions...many of them have lost multiple transmissions on the same truck. I went through 3 on my own 03 Ram before we figured out that the downshift out of overdrive into 2nd gear was the culprit. Since figuring that out, I have not lost a single transmission...even my current 2011 Ram that makes roughly 600rwhp and ran 11.0 @ 120mph is on a stock transmission because I NEVER allow it to automatically downshift out of overdrive into 2nd.

My post was to intended to help others so that they dont go through the same trouble that so many other guys have had to go through in these trucks since they started using the 545RFE/65RFE with the Hemi motor. Drive your truck however you wish. If you want to ensure that you do not have any transmission trouble, then I highly suggest you take my advice.

You should know by now that experience and expertise don't count for anything in this world anymore, that's why coffee cups have to say 'HOT'. It's not like we've been around from the early gen III hemi days where 545 transmissions were dropping like flies and if you made 450+hp and kept your 545 alive for 3 months you were a happy camper. In my 10 years with these trucks I've killed 1 transmission, and that was 4 months ago, but what do we know, right?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
" As a vendor, you should choose your words carefully. People like to think they can rely on you for credible information and sound advice.

IMHO Matt has established his credibility over many years as a vendor on this site. He not only sells quality performance parts, he uses these same parts on his own race trucks and he has proven to be very successful at it, having one of the fastest Ram trucks in the nation. His knowledge of Ram trucks, their capabilities, and their short comings comes from actual street and track time. His customers also provide information about their experiences with their trucks, both racing and street driving. In my experiences with Matt, he has never given me advise or information that I have found to be incorrect or misleading. I think I'll continue to trust information provided by Matt because I know that it is based on real world experience, both on and off the track. Thanks for your opinion though, it reflects on your credibility also.
Jay

OP
OP
R

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I shifted into 3rd earlier today and then floored it. Seems to pull a lot better. But it does get a lot more raps up in the high rpms

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Rampant = butthurt....lol

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk