Tranny cooler.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone here had any luck installing a stacked plate tranny cooler??? Temps are getting a little hot for my liking with summer here. Got up to ~200 the other day, it's a six speed. I know the eights run a little hotter from what I've read. Just want to do some preventative maintenance, as I've already gone through one tranny. I'm looking at the derale 10000 series just not sure what size will be the most efficient and best fit...
Forgot to mention , also running a 3000 TC

Any help is appreciated..

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Subscribed. I just have the factory cooler and I have never seen it get very hot even towing. It does a wonderful job.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone here had any luck installing a stacked plate tranny cooler??? Temps are getting a little hot for my liking with summer here. Got up to ~200 the other day, it's a six speed. I know the eights run a little hotter from what I've read. Just want to do some preventative maintenance, as I've already gone through one tranny. I'm looking at the derale 10000 series just not sure what size will be the most efficient and best fit...
Forgot to mention , also running a 3000 TC

Any help is appreciated..

Which converter are you running? I have a billet 3000 circle d and i stay in the upper 140s.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
consider adding an extra deep transmission pan also
They are available for the six speed trans but not the eight speed.

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which converter are you running? I have a billet 3000 circle d and i stay in the upper 140s.

I'm running the edge 3000, temps stayed in the 130-160 range all winter into the beginning of the summer. But the other day it hit 200 and it was only in the 80's outside. I was romping on it but still , I'd like to keep it a little cooler than that.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Do you have a 180* thermostat installed? If not, I would add that first and then just a deeper trans pan.

With these mods on my trucks, I have never seen more than 165* trans temps, and that is even in 100*+ temps here in south Texas.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Do you have a 180* thermostat installed? If not, I would add that first and then just a deeper trans pan.

With these mods on my trucks, I have never seen more than 165* trans temps, and that is even in 100*+ temps here in south Texas.

Was going to say the same thing.

Hottest mines got is 170 sitting in traffic on a 95* day.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 170 t stat and ive never seen over 160 deg when i was towing 6500lbs with the 3000 stall.

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm running the 180 stat, efan, ati 15%ud , vararam, moes 87, ARH LT's, and the converter, currently running Sean's tune. He does have the tranny set pretty aggressive as I've asked him to , I can run Greene's tune tomorrow and see if anything changes but it should be equally aggressive . Water stays~185-190 oil ~206-230 if I'm hittin it hard, tranny usually ~140-170 until the heat came.....

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I dont see any reason to need a larger trans cooler on these trucks, so I would start with just a deeper transmission pan if you are still concerned about temps. Were your temps higher with just normal driving as well, or was it only when you were out playing and being aggressive with the truck?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running the 180 stat, efan, ati 15%ud , vararam, moes 87, ARH LT's, and the converter, currently running Sean's tune. He does have the tranny set pretty aggressive as I've asked him to , I can run Greene's tune tomorrow and see if anything changes but it should be equally aggressive . Water stays~185-190 oil ~206-230 if I'm hittin it hard, tranny usually ~140-170 until the heat came.....

Those temps all seem a little high, but is this after beating on the truck?

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tranny regularly runs around 160 if I'm driving normal around town. 140-150 on the highway. The oil stays at or around 206 unless I'm driving hard, which I do OFTEN .. That being said yes the tranny only got really hot (~200) when I was kicking the **** out of it. I really don't baby my truck. I like to drive. The other temps are spot on , I wouldn't want the water too much cooler and the oil could actually be a little hotter. I'd rather run around 212 or better. Hot oil + cold water =better power. The Tranny is my only real concern. I was asking about the stack plate cooler because it'll only run me ~$150, while the deeper pan will be ~$300. I have read that the stock cooler is poop, but I don't believe everything I read, so I figured I'd inquire and find some info

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of fluid did use for the converter install?

I don't remember which brand we used, I wasn't there for the install. Which would you recommend? If I have to change out my pan I'd like to put the best fluid in there.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Tranny regularly runs around 160 if I'm driving normal around town. 140-150 on the highway. The oil stays at or around 206 unless I'm driving hard, which I do OFTEN .. That being said yes the tranny only got really hot (~200) when I was kicking the **** out of it. I really don't baby my truck. I like to drive. The other temps are spot on , I wouldn't want the water too much cooler and the oil could actually be a little hotter. I'd rather run around 212 or better. Hot oil + cold water =better power. The Tranny is my only real concern. I was asking about the stack plate cooler because it'll only run me ~$150, while the deeper pan will be ~$300. I have read that the stock cooler is poop, but I don't believe everything I read, so I figured I'd inquire and find some info

Those temps don't seem out of line with the 545/65rfe. I asked the temp question to Mike with L&M regarding my built 545 because I was installing a stand alone cooler and he said it should be ~100*F above ambient with an normal operating temp range of 180-210*F. The stock trans cooler is more than sufficient for even heavy towing, you really want to go with the deep pan and a larger fluid reservoir before messing with the cooler.

If you toasted a 545/65 already I will say it's your driving style, not the temps in the trans that is the most likely cause. WOT downshifts through 4th gear are a death knell for these trans as is upshifting into 4th on a WOT pull (~130+mph). The 2' clutch pack is the weakness and even if your trans temps are fine you can still toast that clutch pack by doing either of those two things.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I don't remember which brand we used, I wasn't there for the install. Which would you recommend? If I have to change out my pan I'd like to put the best fluid in there.

You won't get any huge benefits from one oil over another as long as it's an ATF +4 you'll be fine. I used RP for a while, then went to Mobile on the next trans and now I'm using the Redline C+ in my L&M. All oils were in good shape when they were dumped.

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those temps don't seem out of line with the 545/65rfe. I asked the temp question to Mike with L&M regarding my built 545 because I was installing a stand alone cooler and he said it should be ~100*F above ambient with an normal operating temp range of 180-210*F. The stock trans cooler is more than sufficient for even heavy towing, you really want to go with the deep pan and a larger fluid reservoir before messing with the cooler.

If you toasted a 545/65 already I will say it's your driving style, not the temps in the trans that is the most likely cause. WOT downshifts through 4th gear are a death knell for these trans as is upshifting into 4th on a WOT pull (~130+mph). The 2' clutch pack is the weakness and even if your trans temps are fine you can still toast that clutch pack by doing either of those two things.

That is a bit of a relief to hear , just got a little nervous seeing those temps. Definitely using aft +4. I'm guessing I'll be going for the deeper pan, any suggestions?? And yes my driving style is to blame, However I didn't know about the WOT downshifts with the first tranny. I pretty much drive in "3" now until I hit the hwy.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah, these trucks run way cooler than what I'm used too.

So if I saw 200* temps I would kinda freak out. lol