What kind of oil should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8Lorenzo9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014, Dodge Ram 1500, -3,000 Miles, 5.7 liter engine.

The vehicle is still very new, with under 3k miles on it but it says the oil is 51% good on its screen. Should I be changing this oil when its like 75% good or right now?

What would the best oil be to use on this and when should I be changing my oil and how many quarts on a full change replacing the filter?

Any other maintenance required? The vehicle runs great but should I be checking the dash screen for its tire pressure, ect?

P.S. I can't seem to find my owners manual ;-(

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After hours of reading and great advise from our own RF oil expert Burla, I am now a die-hard Redline oil and Royal Purple filter fan.
I also use Redline in the differential.

Attachments

• Red_Line_WebDev_04122013.jpg
    Red_Line_WebDev_04122013.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
The vehicle is still very new, with under 3k miles on it...

...P.S. I can't seem to find my owners manual ;-(

LOL classic first post.

New engines have a lot of metal particles resulting from the breaking-in process. That being said, the engine oil filter and the oil are both designed to remove these particles from the system.

My short answer is Yes, change the oil and put a quality oil such as Redline and get the best Filter you can find. That will give you some time to dig around on the forums, and find that pesky Owners manual. :)

Last edited:

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my first oil change at 6500 km and it was recommended by a mechanic friend to stick the the factory fill for the first change to ensure adequate break in. Not sure if there is any truth in it or not but it kind of makes sense considering the superior lubricating properties of synthetics. Theory being that the engine needs more miles to break everything in than gets by the time the firsth oil change is due.

OP
OP

8Lorenzo9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im alittle confused now. I now understand that a new engine needs to "break itself in" so im guessing thats why its so quick to tell me im at 50% oil life now and once its broken in then its going to have a longer oil life?

The part that has me confused though is, should I change the oil now?

Edit* Woops i am starting to understand now, change the oil and filter yes. But would u all know what kind of oil is recommended and how many quarts?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my first change about 4K miles. The evic read around 50%. Been doing them around 5K miles since. About 17K miles on the truck now and no problems or ticking. I use Penzoil conventional in the yellow bottles, which is the factory fill and K&N filters.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would go ahead and change your oil now. I think I did my first around 5k miles and I let the dealer do it. My second one I did due to a leaky oil filter around 10k I did penzoil full synthetic with a wix premium filter with full synthetic I will go by the oil indicator or 10k witch ever comes first. Ps the owners manual you can down load off the internet.

Edit: also chrysler requires you use a oil that meets ms-6395. There are many oils that meet that. Penzoil, redline, royal purple, amsoil, castor oil and I believe valvaline meet that spec but make sure before you use it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

8Lorenzo9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ps the owners manual you can down load off the internet.

I just DL'ed it. Thanks :favorites13:

So the manual says MOPAR SAE 5W-20 that is API Certified.
Synthetic oil is only good for 2500 and up?

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just use whatever name brand synthetic is on sale. I mean it's a stock truck so I am not greatly concerned. I have a heavily modded and tuned 98 LS1 Trans An which has a motor that runs a lot harder than my ram ever could and I use whatever is on sale in it and have no issues. Sometimes it's Mobil 1, others Castrol, or Pennzoil. I have never noticed any differences between the major brands of synthetics. I have also used redline. Only Redline I have left right now is in the diff of my car. Stick with major brand synthetics and you should be fine in a 5w-20. I just use Mopar oil filter since they sell them at the parts store I figure it's made for a Ram so it should be adequate. Also have used K&N in my car and Mobil 1 filters. Never any issues with them either. Usually do my 1st change between 3 and 4k miles and then between 5 and 6k after that. My car I just change every 6 months since it doesn't get much mileage on it.

OP
OP

8Lorenzo9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason im reading my owners manual and its stearing me away from using synthetic oil because I have a 1500 5.7 liter.

Its only saying to use synthetic on a 2500 or higher.
So im not going to use synthetic, do you all think there is a reason not to use it or am i reading the manual wrong?

I just did my first oil change at 6500 km and it was recommended by a mechanic friend to stick the the factory fill for the first change to ensure adequate break in
What would be factory fill? Im a newbie with truck stuff. Thats the oil or the filter maybe?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a search on here for synthetic oil. There are already tons of threads about this.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda old school, and opted to change my oil at 2,000 miles. I wanted to get all of the junk out of the engine from break in....
I used a mopar filter and started with quaker state 5w20 full synthetic and switched to pennzoil platinum after 4,000 miles. I change it every 4-5,000 miles, which is more often than required but I sleep better...haha.
It is certainly ok to use synthetic in a1500 hemi, especially in winter, as it flows better at start up which is where most engine wear happens. The 2500/3500 trucks require synthetic oil due to the heavy duty use anticipated by the manufacturer. Certainly, the engine doesn't know or care whether you use synthetic it dino oil.
The dino oil today contains a lot of synthetic components anyway, which is why it is so good compared to just a few years ago. Synthetic is more expensive, but not a lot. I get pennzoil platinum at Wal-Mart in a five quart jug for$24, and the pennzoil dino is about $17....so a tad more than a buck a quart more for greater protection imo

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would be factory fill? Im a newbie with truck stuff. Thats the oil or the filter maybe?

Factory fill is Pennzoil 5w20 I believe. Although you would be fine any conventional motor oil in 5w20 that meets Chrysler's MS-6395 specifications listed in your owners manual.

This is my first Ram and the first vehicle I've ever done any of my own maintenance too or made any modifications too. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. spend some time looking around and use the search function to look up whatever topics interest you and you'll start picking up things pretty quick.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the oil in my 2014 after the first 1,000 miles and saw metal "glitter" from the initial break-in. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic EP (oil and filter) and replaced the oil plug with one that has a built-in magnet (Gold Plug LLC)

bart98stang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When it comes to engine oil and filters I always use what the manufacture recommends. The mechanical engineers that develops these engines are a lot smarter in mechanics then I am. Just my opinion... The '05 F150 I just had I used Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with Motorcraft FL-820s filters. Luckily for me the dealer that I bought my '14 Big Horn offers free lifetime oil and filter changes plus 27 point inspection for a long as I own the truck so that's one less thing I need to worry about.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently use Pennzoil Conventional (yellow bottle) and my truck is nice a quiet and runs great. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum for about 4500 miles and my truck developed the infamous Hemi Tick so I switched back to Yellow bottle. With that said, I would not recommend using Platinum although many others on here swear by it.

I'm going to try Redline and a RP Filter when my oil is due to be changed again. Can't go wrong with Pennzoil Yellow its what most Chrysler dealerships use when doing oil changes. Just make sure to change it no later than 4500-5000 miles no matter how good the evic says the oil life is.

Barracuda556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work in a Chrysler dealership and had many oil changes under my belt. We always use pennzoil. Depending on the year will change the grade and our new darts,Cherokees, and 200's use a 0w20 synthetic. That's also a fiat engine in those cars.
Stick with the Mopar oil filter if you can get them cheap, they are good stuff.

GenaFishbeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
2014, Dodge Ram 1500, -3,000 Miles, 5.7 liter engine.

The vehicle is still very new, with under 3k miles on it but it says the oil is 51% good on its screen. Should I be changing this oil when its like 75% good or right now?

What would the best oil be to use on this and when should I be changing my oil and how many quarts on a full change replacing the filter?

Any other maintenance required? The vehicle runs great but should I be checking the dash screen for its tire pressure, ect?

P.S. I can't seem to find my owners manual ;-(

8Lorenzo9,

We recommend that you follow your OEM maintenance schedule, as well your OEM oil drain interval. The motor oil viscosity recommended for your 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 is 5W-20, and the Chrysler specification that the motor oil must meet is MS 6395. Your engine’s oil capacity is 7 qts. with an oil filter. With that in mind, you could go with a conventional mineral oil, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W20, which will meet that specification. If you want to step up to a semi-synthetic, then Pennzoil Gold Semi Synthetic 5W20 will meet that specification. If you want to jump to a full synthetic, you can try either Pennzoil Platinum 5W20, which boasts the claim of keeping pistons up to 40% cleaner than required by ILSAC GF-5testing standards or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20, which boasts the claim of keeping pistons up to 65% cleaner than required by ILSAC GF-5 testing standards. With such a new, clean engine, we suggest going with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - to keep that engine running as clean as possible!

-The Pennzoil Team