What's the best supercharger for 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scisteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I am looking to do some performance work on the truck. .. who makes the best supercharger? Anyone doing a turbo setup?

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Procharger is good, but not a twin screw. Does Magneson or Whipple make superchargers for the 5.7 HEMI? Me personally I'd rather have a twin screw vs centrifugal supercharger.
Magneson does but it isn't as efficient as a procharger. You can make way more power on our platform with a procharger.

Unless you want very down low power which the roots style will give you. It's a trade off though. You will probably toast your tranny faster with a roots style where with a procharger You can make it last

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think edelbrock makes a screw style supercharger that is 100 percent bolt on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
scisteve

scisteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys... I am a little skeptical about the procharger.. a guy in az did it on his challenger and blew his motor

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks guys... I am a little skeptical about the procharger.. a guy in az did it on his challenger and blew his motor[/QUOTE

You run a **** tune and that's what happens. I've had procharger kits on past cars , no problems. Good fuel system and good tune , no problems.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Procharger is a centrifugal system yes??

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Procharger, Magnuson, edelbrock, vortech all make a good product. And with just the supercharger/intercooler and tune/exhaust, the difference between any of them will probably be negligible.

With a 2015, you've got the 8 speed transmission, and are at much less of a risk of roasting a transmission. The difference in low end between a roots and a centrifugal shouldn't affect the Trans, since the 8 speed is a much more robust unit than the old 545/65rfe where it was a problem.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did they opt for the Hellcat to roll forward with the twinscrew setup as opposed to proven centrifugal setups with the Hemi and A8sp tranny?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Why did they opt for the Hellcat to roll forward with the twinscrew setup as opposed to proven centrifugal setups with the Hemi and A8sp tranny?

ive never actually seen a stock car with a centrifugal setup, maybe ive just never looked hard enough.

Anyway if i had to guess, it would be for that near instant power a twinscrew gives.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Packaging. It's a lot easier for manufacturers to bolt a positive displacement blower on given most engine bay configurations compared to a centrifugal system.

Thanks guys... I am a little skeptical about the procharger.. a guy in az did it on his challenger and blew his motor

It has nothing to do with the blower, that's a tune issue. If you run 7 psi on any type of blower and have a tune that's too lean you will blow things, regardless of blower type or brand.

Hey guys, I am looking to do some performance work on the truck. .. who makes the best supercharger? Anyone doing a turbo setup?

It depends on how you plan to drive the truck and what your goals are. If you just want a little more fun around town then the Edelbrock is a good choice, better low rpm power but it tops out a lot sooner. If you want drag strip power, mid-top end, or believe that you'll want more power down the road then the Procharger is the way to go.

The positive displacement options are restricted to the boost from the factory and that's it, there is no available upgrades for them on the trucks unless you plan to make your own base and custom fit a larger housing. The procharger is 100% upgradable with available pulley swaps, head unit upgrades, or go full retard and run a cog drive kit. Centrifugal blowers are easier on the engine and drivetrain but with the 8 speed it's not as big an issue as with the 5/6speeds.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With the centrifugal superchargers it is my understanding that there is still a little bit of spool up time like a turbo?

I was going to put a power adder on my Camaro, and I was going to go with a Magneson or Whipple because there was something that I didn't like about a centrifugal supercharger but I can't remember....

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
With the centrifugal superchargers it is my understanding that there is still a little bit of spool up time like a turbo?

I was going to put a power adder on my Camaro, and I was going to go with a Magneson or Whipple because there was something that I didn't like about a centrifugal supercharger but I can't remember....

While it's nothing like turbo lag the positive displacement blowers make power at a lower rpm and the centrifugal blowers need a higher engine rpm to start making power. Example, a local guy with the Edelbrock e-force starts building boost at 2200rpm and was at full boost by 3500rpm but my D1SC setup started building boost at 2600rpm and continued to build boost up to 5000rpm. If I wanted a higher boost then I could swap to a smaller pulley (belt slippage not withstanding) and get more and faster. There are so many variables to play with but it comes down to matching components properly, a centrifugal blower works best when paired with the proper torque converter.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought with super chargers your peak power was typically at redline?? Where as with turbos that isn't the case.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your peak HP is going to be close to your redline regardless of power adder. The difference comes in the lower rpms. Forced induction and nitrous bring more power down into the low to mid rpms, but your peak will always be on the top end.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I thought with super chargers your peak power was typically at redline?? Where as with turbos that isn't the case.

Adding to what Sloth said, just because it makes more boost doesn't mean it makes more power. Every blower housing has a maximum volume and while you can always spin the internals faster (until it chokes) to move more air you do so at the expense of generating more heat. Every compressor housing, regardless of type, has efficiency islands when you relate the mass flow, compressor velocity, and pressure ratio. A compressor housing that generates 7psi at 4000rpm with a 76% efficiency will make more power than a housing making 10psi at 5000rpm with a 60% efficiency because the amount of heat induced into the system will offset the additional increase in pressure; mass flow is what needs to be looked at, not boost pressure. Intercoolers/aftercoolers help correct this issue to a degree; you are reducing flow velocity and pressure as the air now is passed through an exchanger core to get a higher air density but at a lower pressure/velocity.

A 7psi turbo should be more efficient than a 7psi supercharger due to the amount of power required to drive the supercharger vs the exhaust driven turbo. The A/R ratio and turbine wheel diameter will determine how fast a turbo spools up and more importantly, how quickly it will run out of volume and choke out (trying to pack more air in than it can).

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
ive never actually seen a stock car with a centrifugal setup, maybe ive just never looked hard enough.

Anyway if i had to guess, it would be for that near instant power a twinscrew gives.

Not a ram truck but studebaker offered a factory Paxton supercharged car in the 60s.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adding to what Sloth said, just because it makes more boost doesn't mean it makes more power. Every blower housing has a maximum volume and while you can always spin the internals faster (until it chokes) to move more air you do so at the expense of generating more heat. Every compressor housing, regardless of type, has efficiency islands when you relate the mass flow, compressor velocity, and pressure ratio. A compressor housing that generates 7psi at 4000rpm with a 76% efficiency will make more power than a housing making 10psi at 5000rpm with a 60% efficiency because the amount of heat induced into the system will offset the additional increase in pressure; mass flow is what needs to be looked at, not boost pressure. Intercoolers/aftercoolers help correct this issue to a degree; you are reducing flow velocity and pressure as the air now is passed through an exchanger core to get a higher air density but at a lower pressure/velocity.

A 7psi turbo should be more efficient than a 7psi supercharger due to the amount of power required to drive the supercharger vs the exhaust driven turbo. The A/R ratio and turbine wheel diameter will determine how fast a turbo spools up and more importantly, how quickly it will run out of volume and choke out (trying to pack more air in than it can).

So you touched on it a bit but couldn't you get a better cooling system to improve density and efficiency??