Winter Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All!
So to be brief, I want to know what others recommend for winter oil changes, I usually use Mobil One filter and oil; 5W20 but with winter hitting and I have three 7+ hour trips coming up, what anyone recommends to put in for an oil change. I want to buy the oil today to do the oil change on Friday. Any help and recommendations greatly appreciated. I'd have to buy from a local auto parts store.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What your using is a great combo. If it's working, don't mess with it.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, does anyone use any additives or a mix of anything? I was never a fan of additives but just want to see what others think.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
just run quality oil and filters, along with the grade thats recommended, dont over think it.

If you really want a **** load if "info", find the synthetic oil thread in this sub forum and read all you can handle.....or, do what i mentioned above.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Nutshell / Jonesey said really all there is to it.
If your motor is smooth and quiet on M1 5W-20 keep using it. The M1 oil filter is second to none!

Follow your oil life monitoring system.

I can't comment on the additives because I use one myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That actually reminds me, when I start the truck when it's cold out, I hear a ticking until the car is running for more than 5 minutes. Any ideas on that?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So then it sounds like 5w20 isn't working for you. Hemi tick as you stated is usually lifter tick, another source is exhaust bolts. You can see if the dealer will help diagnose it. How many miles on the truck?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have read where that ticking sound (is possibly ) due to a few lifters losing/leaking pressure.

There are a couple other possibilities as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He's got a 2015, I would hound the dealer until they get tired of seeing your face until that is fixed. Last thing you want is a smoothed cam soon as you are out of warranty because those lifters aren't operating smoothly. Keep all records of your oil changes as well.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So then it sounds like 5w20 isn't working for you. Hemi tick as you stated is usually lifter tick, another source is exhaust bolts. You can see if the dealer will help diagnose it. How many miles on the truck?

I can definitely arrange something to bring by the dealer but is it something that I would be able to check myself regarding the exhaust bolts? As for the oil, is there a better weight I can try to see if the tick improves? The truck has about 30,000 miles on it currently.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There is always the opportunity of experimenting a little to (maybe) silencing this noise at startup. Most owners are scared to death of doing this.

Question: does it do this at every start up? Or just after it sits overnight or for a few hours?

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is always the opportunity of experimenting a little to (maybe) silencing this noise at startup. Most owners are scared to death of doing this.

Question: does it do this at every start up? Or just after it sits overnight or for a few hours?

Thank you so much for even entertaining this with me. This is the reason people should join Forums.

Anyway, I can't say it does this at every startup but definitely after it sits for a few hours.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the Hemi Tick threads out there and the Syn thread. Good luck, B

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely will read the Hemi Tick threads but in the interim, is there a better oil or weight I should use since I plan to do the oil change tomorrow/Friday?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline Oil first at combating ticks, and Penzoil Yellow Bottle as a second easier to find choice hey fella's? Both oils have high moly, Redline has insane moly and PYB has reasonable amount of moly. Tick is a ****** condition, there aren't any guarantees. It has been amazing on how many of these defects go away with high moly oil, but it is likely that the conditions that caused the tick will still be lurking. Pretty annoying for those of us who have this.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It all depends on the thickness of your wallet.

RL seems to be the Holy Savior of the lifter tick.

Some have had good success with like Burla stated PYB. There are even positive results posted with Quaker State / Ultimate Durability.

Like I said you're going to have to do some experimenting unless you want to go right to Red Line first.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Not sure where you're located but I'm in Fairbanks where we easily hit -20 or colder. I stuck with Mobil1 and haven't had any issues. But, what really cemented my decision was watching cold weather pour tests on youtube. Mobil1 flows faster and easier at negative temps than any other synthetic, including redline and royal purple. Also, a good oil pan heater might be worth the money depending temps in your location as it may reduce the tick at startup.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mobil 1 does flow very well in extreme cold temps. Amsoil Signature Series also flows very well in extreme cold.

Regardless of what brand of oil you use if it gets down to -20 on regular basis you should be running a 0wXX

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Definitely do some experimenting and report what you had success with or failure with in synthetic oil thread. Some oils take 500 miles to handle the tick, there is some science behind this fact. Give whatever you use a chance, B