Oil change - install fuel filters separately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I've got fuel filters for my 2018 Cummins coming in from Geno's Garage this week. However, I've got time in my schedule to do the oil change before the fuel filters arrive.

Is there any negative (other than time/convenience) if I install the fuel filters a couple days after I do the oil change?

For context, I don't usually do my own oil changes.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'd be adding the 'dirty oil' residing inside the old oil filters to your new oil. So, then you aren't getting the full benefit of changing the oil. If that matters to you. Diesel oil is generally really black. IDK..up to you.

I would honestly wait and change them all at once. And check the air filter too (often overlooked). Esp on a diesel.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd be adding the 'dirty oil' residing inside the old oil filters to your new oil. So, then you aren't getting the full benefit of changing the oil. If that matters to you. Diesel oil is generally really black. IDK..up to you.

I would honestly wait and change them all at once. And check the air filter too (often overlooked). Esp on a diesel.
Hey Jeepwalker,
The OP was asking about fuel filters, not the oil filter.
However, if they did mean the oil filter, I'm with you. Do the filter when the oil gets done.

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Thank you for the responses. To confirm, I am talking about the fuel filters.

I'll do the oil and oil filter together. Fuel filters separate.

I'm good on the air filter as I recently changed that out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry,

Oh... well, ...as far as fuel filters go.....sure, you can do them now. It's better than during other work. In the unlikely even there's an issue you know it's fuel related.