Won't start! Help. Clicks once.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forbidden Era

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
2012 ram 1500 5.7l hemi

Upgraded wire from alternator to battery and added a second ground cable (adding a 3000w inverter running off a second battery in the toolbox in the bed). Battery died while I was working.

Now it won't start when boosted. Just clicks once, sounds like the starter isn't getting power. The alternator and starter don't share the line from the battery do they? If so, then thats obvipusly my issue. There was only 2 wires kn the battery when I started, about 8g from the alternator and about 8g to the fuse box. Surprised they're so small when apparently the alternator is 220 amp (or maybe 180 the owner said it was 220 I think)

No codes. Truck turns on fine when boosted. Battery even took a bit of a charge from being boosted for 5 min so I'm sure the batt is good. Brand new battery terminal on the positive, no corrosion, clean. Negative is stock with an extra 1g wire bolted on to the terminal and added to where the stock ground is.

No other real changes were made except tapping the big blue wire under the dash for ignition power for a switch.

Thanks guys. Its a client vehicle so I want to fix this ASAP. I'm sure its something simple, I'm going to start checking fuses but it'd be nice to have a diagram / know which to check, I'm good with vehicles just not familiar with Dodges. Haven't had a chance to crawl under and check the starter terminals for voltage or even figured out where the starter is yet, probably right underneath by the flywheel but maybe it's on top?

Thanks for any info! As its not my vehicle I don't have a fsm.

Attached pic of setup.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1453179630085.jpg
    1453179630085.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 68