Y Pipe Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How restrictive is the y pipe on the 4th gens. I've heard mixed opinions. Is it justifiable to weld in a Magnaflow or custom Y? Or are the gains not much? I plan on doing this plus a getting an 87mm TB from Moe's, eventually getting LT headers. Thanks guys!

on the move..

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The factory Y-pipe is terrible. I will try to dig up some pictures to show you just how bad it is compared to the Magnaflow unit. The Magnaflow Y itself is only $30, so as long as you have an exhaust shop you trust to do the work, it is a mod that I recommend to everyone.

OP
OP
popcenator

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent, it definitely doesn't look good, that's for sure. Do you by chance have a part number?

OP
OP
popcenator

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, how's the factory exhaust itself flow wise? From what I gathered, the only real choke points are the muffler, y pipe, and manifolds, is that correct?

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to have to do some searches on this. I'm thinking about doing it too. Did you guys that put the Y pipe on notice some big or slight differences?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The Magnaflow Y-pipe you need is #10778. The Y-pipe, muffler, and manifolds are all restrictive, so there is alot of room for improvement there. The full catback kits are very nice, but you arent going to see much of a performance gain going that route over just having the Y and muffler replaced. The main reason why I like the full catback kits is that you can install them yourself in an hour or so, they bolt on very easily using the factory hangers, and it is very easy to remove when it comes time to sell the truck. I dont trust any of the exhaust shops in my area, so I would much rather buy a bolt-on catback then pay a shop to do bad work on my $50k truck.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm going to have to do some searches on this. I'm thinking about doing it too. Did you guys that put the Y pipe on notice some big or slight differences?

Replacing the Y-pipe on a stock truck isnt going to show a big performance gain. Whjere it starts to show is when you have an upgraded intake and a tuner. With the extra air coming in, the factory exhaust really chokes off your motor. On a stock truck, you arent bringing in as much air, so the gains are not going to be as noticable.

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replacing the Y-pipe on a stock truck isnt going to show a big performance gain. Whjere it starts to show is when you have an upgraded intake and a tuner. With the extra air coming in, the factory exhaust really chokes off your motor. On a stock truck, you arent bringing in as much air, so the gains are not going to be as noticable.

I have a series 40 Flowmaster exhaust on my truck. I just have a K&N drop in right now. Now here is a question when they put on an aftermarket exhaust does a new Y pipe come with it? Yes tuner is on the list whenever the tune comes out for 12's.

OP
OP
popcenator

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends on the type you purchased, if it's just a catback then no, you'll still have it. You just have to look under your truck, if it looks like crap then it's most likely the stock y pipe.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Catback exhaust systems clamp onto the back of the Y-pipe, so it is still recommended to replace the factory Y-pipe.

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'll have to get under there and look for sure. I know they threw out some big ass pieces when they were doing it. I wasn't really paying attention to what was thrown out. I know they were big though. One of those pieces were like 3 ft long! I should of payed more attention but I was BSing with the owner when they were doing it...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'm looking at the JBA piece, very nice :)

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah the Magnaflow Y-pipe is definitely on the list for me.... just saving up some coin for some headers and i'll be purchasing the y-pipe and headers. With the tune, Vavaram CAI and 87 mm TB there's some nice air flow coming in..... need to open it up for it to easily come out

OP
OP
popcenator

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, trying to figure my path for upgrades. Probably y pipe, 87mm TB, headers, and tuner in there somewhere once they have something for 2012.s. Already have the muffler and intake.

on the move..

ruger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone who replaced the Y-pipe did you notice any difference in the sound?

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didnt notice any sound difference on an otherwise stock exhaust.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to upgrade my Y pipe but I dont know if these new JBA LT's are going to come with one or not.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Magnaflow Y and Magnaflow 18" muffler really woke mine up. It now has serious traction issues on the street with the stock BFG's. Sounds nice to.