'08 Ram Hemi 1500 auto-trans rpm spike- passing gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been noticing it for a while now but figgered I oughtta ask about it since I'm on a long trip.

Downshifting out of overdrive doesn't seem to have an issue but downshifting to the passing gear, there is a little bit of a rpm surge that's really bad right after the shift while the cruise is set as it's trying to maintain speed.

Anybody else notice this and know what it might be?

If I'm controlling it off the pedal and kinda ease into the acceleration it doesn't seem to do it but even if I'm controlling the throttle pulling a bill or just speeding up kinda hard, it'll do it...

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little bit more info, I guess it could be because I've been a little easier on the truck since posting this thread but also I downgraded the Diablo tune to the 87 Perf tune to from the 91 Perf tune so, maybe that's having a little bit to do with it as well since hopefully the shift firmness is reduced a little and not so aggressive.

Even tho the ole girl's an '08, she's only got 64k on the clock so as far as I remember from the last time I checked, she still has a while left on the tranny service interval that is unless if it's also based on time and not only mileage.

Last edited:

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I can send you some shift schedules if you have the ability to adjust shift schedules.

It does more than a cam and heads. It really wakes those trucks up. I did it to my 2007.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can send you some shift schedules if you have the ability to adjust shift schedules.

It does more than a cam and heads. It really wakes those trucks up. I did it to my 2007.

You mean RPM shift points? At least as far as I know the Diablo tunes do something to the transmission. It must because since programming with it, it feels like it's trying to lift the front wheels off the ground but as far as I know, only the rpms between 2-3 and 3-4 upshift is all that you can customize, I guess.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody else notice this issue when rompin' on it kickin' in the passing gear?