2002 Ram 1500 Remote Start + Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought my truck, the keys came with this fob, with this receiver hanging by my mirror. The remote start and locks worked fine initially, but have since stopped working. I'm guessing this isn't an OEM system? I've done work on the truck and disconnected the battery several times, so I don't know if that screwed it up. To top it off, the reciever wires snapped randomly one day so I have to solder it back on. My question is, where are these types of systems located? I'm going to try to troubleshoot it but I have no idea where it was even installed. And anyone run into this kind of issue before with their remote system?

Reciever model is a Directed Electronics HX, remote is a Valet 474T.

c2MwP4f.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There was no oem remote start for the Rams until 2005. Should be a module under the dash somewhere. May be more than one if you have SKIM and it has a bypass module.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fact that the antenna was just hanging by the mirror makes me question the install integrity lol, but maybe the adhesive just wore off and it came down.

But yes as hemilonestar said, that is aftermarket. The "brain" for those things is usually up under the dash, around the area above where your knees would be. That is the most common location due to access to the wiring needed to install them. But they can be anywhere. If it is a good install, it will be hidden and secured very well.

The most common issues that will cause what you are seeing is a blown fuse for the brain, or the brain has lost programming for the remote. There will probably be a few fuses, at least two or three. Check them all. If you can verify that the unit is getting power correctly, you will then have to use the led and valet button to try to reprogram the remote. Depending on the system, the led or valet button may be on that antenna that fell off. Or both. Or neither, and they are also up under the dash. You will have to do some digging to find everything and troubleshoot it.

Obviously, you will have to get that antenna fixed before you do anything else. Without it the system will never do anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
triple111

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can verify that the unit is getting power correctly, you will then have to use the led and valet button to try to reprogram the remote.

That is making sense to me now that I think about it. I feel like when I pulled the positive cable, the unit lost the programming in volatile memory therefore wouldn't respond when I hit the button. Thanks for the help guys, I'll check back when I figure it out.