2003 4x4 ram lower ball joint removal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yenkoskc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible to replace the lower ball joints without removing spindle from the upper ball joint. I dont need to replace the upper ball joints but i know i will have to if i need to remove the spindle cause thats how it always works out with my rigs. Maybe its a midwest thing

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I can't see why not but the spindle might get in your way a bit. Could tie your UCA up to hold the spindle as far up as you can but you'll still have your tie rods to worry about as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Besides it is only 2 more bolts to undo to remove the spindle at this point (Upper Ball Joint and Tie Rod end). That is of course assuming you have already removed the brake calipers and brackets.

Make sure you are not letting the calipers hang by the hose. Bungee cords are perfect to hold them out of the way. If you have a 4x4, put a Block of wood on a jack to support the LCA before you undo the Ball Joint as there is tension on the LCA from the torsion bar. Once the BJ is undone slightly relieve the pressure from the jack and hit the knuckle with your favorite BFH to release the BJ, then lower the jack completely to release the LCA. It will still be under tension from the torsion bar but you will have the required space to use a portable Ball Joint Press to remove and replace the BJ.

Hope this helps

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would require some creative rope/bungee work, but you might be able to.

Last edited: