2006 power steering pump click

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need help. I'm about to go crazy trying to figure this out. I replace my factory power steering pump about six months ago after it started getting hard to steer at idle. I also replaced the power steering cooler same day because the mounting bracket rusted off. All good. Steering is great. But I kept hearing a clicking tapping noise under the hood so I'm thing bad pump. I replace pump. Still clicks. Ok I figure I can live with it. Only it got loader. So I pull serpentine belt start engine. No click. Ok. I replace tensioner and both idler pulleys. Still clicks. I pull fan and clutch. Still clicks. Somebody please help. Thanks

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
Did you replace the whole assembly or just the pump, reason I ask is I did a reseal on one and after about a week I had this ticking noise you talk about, turns out it was the valve that screws into the back of the pump reservoir with the spring in it. I replaced the whole assembly and all was good.

Edit to add, this was on my 98 not on my 05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Frank1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've replaced the pump twice and the pump and reservoir being the third time. All were aftermarket Cardone pumps. I also repace the high pressure and low pressure lines. Took it to dodge and they say it is the pump also. They don't make the pump anymore so they have a replacement pump and new bracket? for $1100 or $1600 installed. I can't spend $1100 on a pump. I can understand aftermarket pump could be bad but three pumps in a row with exact same noise?

OP
OP
F

Frank1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the purpose of the valve with the spring? Check valve or pressure? Is there an adjustment on the valve or spring? Thanks for your response

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
It's the pressure side, I don't think there is an adjustment on it.

In my case I could "feel" the clicking noise in the pressure line when I put my hand on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Frank1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Thundervee. I will check to make sure the valve and spring are in tomorrow evening. I'll keep you informed. Where was the spring located. Is it top side ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990