Noisy power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tay1995

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anybody ever had noisy power steering pumps? Ive replaced the pump twice the second one isnt as noisy as the first but i mostly hear it under acceleration its not super loud but its noticeable. Fluid level is full and atf4 is the fluid. I tried checking for bubbles and i cant seem to find any. I was told its not bad enough to replace but the whining is noticeable under acceleration. Also can a power steering pump cause a single chirp when shutting the truck off cuz i didnt hear this single chirp until i replaced the power steering pump it started happening a few miles after the replacement

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe using power steering fluid will make a difference, maybe not .

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would completely flush the system and use some actual PWR steering fluid as Daw14 suggested. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above flush whole system good I have had luck with lucas Power steering fluid to quiet up pumps.

Joshua Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Believe it or not but both the clutch fan AND the torque converter can display a whine similar to that of a power steering pump whine when failing. I just recently went through this on my 98 Ram 5.2l Magnum a short time ago. Changed power steering pump, then went to fan clutch, then realized it was torque converter. Fan clutch was still bad bc it had a tick almost like an engine tick, but it wound up being my torque converter. Most certainly not wishing the worst for you; but I beat my head against a wall for what seemed like weeks over that whine. Just another direction to look in should you not get the whine out.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d be careful using power steering fluid, I unknowingly ran it in mine when my rack started leaking a little. The pump was short lived after running it vs. the atf+4 that it requires.