Also new to Ram.. thoughts on new purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
So as the title suggests, I am a Dodge noob. Anyway long story short, just moved to Montana and used trucks here are hella expensive if you want under 100k miles. At any rate yesterday I found and test drove a 2002 1500 5.9l crew cab with 132k miles. Decoding the VIN tells me it's got a 3.55 rear end.
Now I know the 360 was never known for it's fuel efficiency, and that's not a huge concern of mine. However what do you guys think of it tackling the many mountain passes and hills here in west-central MT?

Also, and I am googling at the same time, but since each and every vehicle make/model has their own sets of issues... what are some common things to look for specifically with this year and engine?

I mentioned that I test drove it.. about 15 miles-ish. Tranny shifts were solid and quick. Acceleration was good (even for 245 horses), it gained interstate speeds quickly enough. Braking was actually great for her girth, no vibrations, shimmies, pulses or pulls.

Looking underneath I saw no evidence of leaks, engine, tranny nor rear end-wise. The interior was immaculate. The previous owner must have taken good care because you could have dropped your sandwich face down on a seat and been safe enough to continue eating it. I noticed no dash cracks and driving over two sets of railroad tracks heard no tell-tale squeaks, thuds or thumps.

Give me ya'lls thoughts, is it worth $8900?
Thanks

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Judging by everything you covered it sounds like you checked everything out pretty well and sounds like it's worth that price tag. What shape is the body in? Does it have the usual rear fender well rust?

My buddy has a '03 1500 with the 5.9 in it and has over 200k miles on it now and still runs good. Had to replace the tranny but motor is still good.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Your concerned about the passes is it 4x4 or RWD? I had that motor in a 96' and loved it never had any issues with it besides the previous owners screw ups. But it's a stout motor nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The 360 is a great engine and very receptive to power mods.

I'd inspect the truck for rust, as mentioned, and give it one more good inspection.

Also, check NADA or KBB for used prices in your area. With that info you might be able to negotiate a bit on the price.

If the dash isn't cracked that's a good sign. The 2nd gen trucks are notorious for cracked dash pads.

Lastly, check the front suspension bushings, especially at the ends of the track rod. That area tends to be a bit weak. There are some great aftermarket kits out there that resolve the issue.

Good luck.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I had a 97 with the 360 Magnum and liked the engine but those transmissions have somewhat of a bad reputation. If you're planning on doing any towing at all I'd look for something a year or two newer with a Hemi or better yet, a Cummins.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Thanks guys. No there's no rust that I had found yesterday. Event eh frame, and underling parts looked very good for the age. Granted we've only been Montanians for less than a month but they apparently do not salt here. Moving from Michigan I had expected rust but was surprised to not find it in abundance.

Body is straight, a few shopping cart dings here and there and a few small buffable paint marks. Nothing out of the ordinary for a well kept 14 year old truck TBH.

It is a 4x4 and yeah I'm not used to climbing a few thousand feet between towns :)

Our '09 Tahoe handles them well, the 26' Uhaul did not lol.

But yeah I just wondered about special issues that might plague the Ram like the 04-08 F150 spark plug debacle.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
If it's snowing good 4hi would help a lot due to the nature won't tear up stuff since you wouldn't necessarily be on roadway anymore. And like Ron Jon said that's the series that got dodge the tranny problem reputation of it's not cared for

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did they still use the same tranny in the 3rd gen 5.9's as they did in the 2nd gen?

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I think so I know it ain't got the 545rfe in it I checked

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would upgrade the tranny cooler to a larger one to keep temps low. I heard high temps are what caused so many outages in the second gen rams. Other wise it sounds sweet.. I'd haggle it down whatever you could but otherwise it sounds fair

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yep, 2002 5.9L V8 = 46RE

O okay wasn't sure. I can't say anything cause I beat the hell outta my old 2nd gen that was on 37's and it still shifted smooth when I traded it in with 140k miles on it. I put 70k of those miles on it myself.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
I would upgrade the tranny cooler to a larger one to keep temps low. I heard high temps are what caused so many outages in the second gen rams. Other wise it sounds sweet.. I'd haggle it down whatever you could but otherwise it sounds fair

Would you upgrade even if you rarely.. *rarely* tow and only occasionally haul more than a few hundred pounds?

How hard is it to add a tranny temp gauge to these guys?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the truck has the tow package, then the tranny cooler is large. No need to change it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
thanks guys. One last question.. is there a spreadsheet or a website with the option code definitions?