Another typical issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SapperJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new to this forum, however I am not so new to Dodge ownership. I have had a 2004 Ram since I got back from A-stan in 2008, and I love it. This is my first Dodge, and truck for that matter. I used to run around in little Hondas but have since grown up. I didn't know a lot about these things and figured general oil change and such would suffice. Well over the summer I realized the fluid in the rear diff needs changed relatively often. I finally got around to doing so and found the ever-so-troublesome clip (just one) stuck to the magnet. I have put 50,000 on this thing since I bought it and it is at about 126,000 miles now. I am the type of person that worries until I find a clear answer, and I havent been able to find anything searching the net yet. I haven't had any issues yet but now I am worried my rear end is about to crap out on me. If there is no noticeable damage yet, do I need to worry about this? I have another year until it is paid off and would like it to last until then. My wife drives it and it kinda needs to be reliable. If it craps out, I guess I will have a Hemi for my '49 Coronet project. Any help would be great. I have scanned forums and threads and the only info I seem to find is people who have had theirs replaced by the dealer (years ago) or those who had problems while on the road. Sorry if I missed a thread addressing this very question. Truck info: 2004 Ram 1500 4dr 2wd 5.7l Hemi, 126,000 miles. Not sure if it has the LSD, but I am assuming it does since I found a broken clip.

EDIT: Just checked to see if it is an LSD using the tire turning method. It is indeed an LSD. Both tires turned the same way.

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF. I don't know about the whole clip thing... is it the clip for the axle shafts or what? What's it go to?

OP
OP
S

SapperJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know. It is whatever comes loose in the rear diff. It was stuck to the magnet and in pieces. It is that C-shaped clip i guess. Looks like the one in some pics I have seen in other rear-end threads.

OP
OP
S

SapperJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the pic I managed to get of the pieces I pulled out. There are three of the "W" looking pieces that broke off the end. The fact there are three leads me to believe both pins are broke. If I understand correctly, there are only two in there and they were for factory installation purposes.
408589_10150471200547830_500477829_8754972_1980429632_n.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
from what i remember the clips are just what you said, there for installation. Once installed they serve no purpose. The clips coming lose is what causes the rear end to blow up. I think i even remember seeing where taking the clips out was sort of a fix.