Another Key Fob Issue - 2017 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got my 2017 Ram 1500 just about three years ago this month. The two key fobs that came with it have both begun to exhibit the same problem. At random times, when being carried either in my hnad or pocket. each one will just start trying to start the vehicle with the remote start system. The horn will go off repeatedly. Sometimes it will not start, but sometimes it will.

The dealership cost for new fobs and programming is in the high hundreds.

But using google I came across some videos which showed me how open the fob, change the battery and generally clean the insides. This solved part of the problem with the one fob. No more random remote start attempts. But It also will not engage the remote start when I want to. That I can live with, at least until the winter.

Amazon does have the remote shell I need (which includes the remote start button). I am wondering if I place the old circuit board in a new shell if this will solve the problem?

Has anyone else come across the problem and found a financially reasonable solution?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can have a lock smith reprogram keys for cheap. My ram only came with one fob. I would take to a place like batteries plus and let them replace it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My experience, once you have fob problems, the only solution is a replacement fob. I don't carry mine in my pocket anymore due to this fact.

Replacement fobs are available from many sources as previously indicated. Replace it or don't, obviously your choice, but don't expect perfection, unless you make the change.

Ps, I've never seen one successfully repaired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat