Help, reverse doest work. BRAIN STORM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhofmann95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hi guys. Im completely knew to this website but i am at a total loss here and was hoping you guys could help me out. so to start off.i have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9 360 magnum with a 46re transmission that IS 4 wheel drive with 103,000 miles on both the motor and the transmission. why im here today is because im hoping you could sort of guide me to the right way of how to handle a situation i am in. a problem i am having is that my reverse out of no where stopped working, and what i mean by that is that i used reverse around 4 times the same day and i have no issues and i went home on a 2 hour drive, i went to back in my drive way and i get nothing except a clanking sound. i looked up on line and people said it might be the reverse band but with that transmission, the reverse and first gear is on the same band and when i put it in first. i get no issues at all. i brought it to 3 different shops and right off the bat they tell me i need a new transmission and the lowest shop said they want around $1500. i bought the truck a couple of weeks ago when it only had 94,000 on it from the previous owner. thank you for reading this and taking your time to help me. thank you.

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The truck looks in good shape and you probably could put at least another 100K miles on the engine.
It is probably worth having the trans rebuilt. Some places offer a 2 year 24K mile warranty on the rebuild. It will be one less thing to worry about on an older vehicle. I paid about the same about 7 years ago to have a trans rebuilt on a van, never had another problem with it.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple weeks an you put 9k miles on it already??

OP
OP
N

nhofmann95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i do about 300 miles a day during the week days. i work 2 hours away and do alot of driving while im there throughout the day.