Reverse/Backup Lights Don't Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn. I am replacing my backup lights with LED and just noticed that both the backup lights (right and left side) don't work. Both of the bulbs are still good but they just don't turn on. I tried installing one of the LED bulbs and that doesn't work either. Then tried to change the connector 180 to see if it was the polarity but nope still doesn't work. I then checked for a blown fuse but can't figure out which fuse as none of them are labeled for the reserve/backup lights. I found on another site that someone called their local dealer and he was told to check specific fuses which he listed. I checked those fuses on my truck but they are all good not blown. I then found that it could be the Neutral Safety Switch but that information was for the 3rd gen Rams. I haven't been able to find any information (or replacement part) on this switch for our 4th gen so I don't know what else to check.

Hoping someone can give me some good information for our 4th Gen Rams to check why my reverse lights don't work.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If converting from conventional to LED backup lights, one needs to get into the body computer and change a parameter.

The body computer has the following in "CBC Features": "LED Reverse Lamps Present: No". That needs to be changed to "YES"

Can be done with OBDLink MX+ and AlfaOBD to easily change.

I did same thing on my '16 1500 Sport.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do the original incandescent bulbs work when both are installed? If so you need to use a different LED reverse bulb or make a change with AlfaOBD as mentioned above.
There are some LEDs that work as the reverse without making any changes with AlfaOBD. I have a set but they're no longer available to purchase (company out of business).

OP
OP
16Longhorn

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the original incandescent bulbs work when both are installed?
No they don't work when both are installed.

Both original (factory) incandescent bulbs do not work but when I check them they are both still good. I am assuming that there is no power to them as regardless of what bulb I put in there none work.