Long shot - Electrical issues (wipers, turn signals, radio controls, etc.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having issues with the wiring on my 2005 Ram, and having a really difficult time tracking down what could be causing any of it. These may all be related, or they may all be separate issues.

My HID passenger headlight and switchback turn signal aren't behaving correctly. The switchback doesn't "switch". The white LEDs stay on while the amber flash. The driver's side is working in both cases and I can't figure out what could be causing the different behavior. It should go between white and amber by activating and deactivating different LEDs, but the white's are constant on the passenger side. I have load resistors installed from the parking lamp wire to ground on both sides, and the bundle purchased through RetroSolutions uses a canceler on the passenger side while both headlights come off the driver's side signal.

On the passenger side I've been moving around the resistor between the bundled ground and a local chassis ground. I have other things using the same bolt for a ground and they are working fine. The load resistors for the HIDs are shared by the HID bundle, so if one is working, I would assume the other would be working too. The only big question I can't figure out is if the parking lamp light wiring is shared by the headlight wiring (white w/ tan stripe). They're the same coloring, so I've been working with the idea that maybe they have too much load resistance to allow the ballast to fire up, but when I removed the turn signal resistor I get no change.

Additionally, it just rained for the first time since I installed everything. I noticed that the windshield wiper was acting bonkers. When on a medium setting (all of the non-constants) it would just decide to swipe on its own. There was no real pattern to it. Sometimes it would swipe 3 times in sync. Other times it would just skip 5 or 6 swipes before going once. When I crank it up to one of the constant settings (low or high constant) it works fine. The reason I bring this up is because it's on the turn signal wand in the cabin, and this could be pointing to a problem caused by load resistors interacting with the wiper relay. Full disclosure, I suspect the clockspring wiring ribbon may also be shorting, but it would most likely be downstream from any of these circuits. The steering wheel radio controls and horn switch have no power, but they are after the steering column mounted turn signal/wiper wand I believe. I purchased a new clockspring to see if that fixes the steering wheel electrical issues, but haven't installed it yet.

I also have random one-touch down on my driver side window. It works about half the time, and the other half I have to hold it down. Everything else on the master switch works perfect.

Has anyone run into any of this before? I'm electrically savvy, but I really hate diagnosing electrical and I'm about ready to drop it off at some offroad shop to let them fix it at some ridiculous price.