Connecting to the turn signals.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whteglve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I about to add a set of ditch lights to my 2018 Laramie 1500. The lights in planning on using have an amber section that can be light separately. It's like to wire the main light to a switch but have the amber work as a turn signal. Should I just run a relay for each part of the light? Do you think the control wire for the relay will cause issues with the computer thinking builds are out?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I about to add a set of ditch lights to my 2018 Laramie 1500. The lights in planning on using have an amber section that can be light separately. It's like to wire the main light to a switch but have the amber work as a turn signal. Should I just run a relay for each part of the light? Do you think the control wire for the relay will cause issues with the computer thinking builds are out?
1. Yes, run a relay
2. If you want them to run independently you will need separate relays and triggers. It sounds like you will need three if I understand this correctly (one relay/trigger for left turn and another for right turn as well as one relay to energize both ditch lights simultaneously).
3. No, should be fine if you are using relays.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would also add a flyback diode across the relay coil to prevent any back EMF. I do that as a general practice when piggy backing anything on these trucks since all these functions are controlled through the BCM.