My 4.7L dilema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZDiamond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I am new to this forum, I have a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 4.7L, she is starting to get up there, i am stating to consider my options as what would be the best route, either find another 2006 era 4.7L or would it be possible to swap in a newer generation 2008 and up 4.7L, they do have a lot more power, and with some simple modifications, could be as powerful as the first gen hemi from the factory. Appreciate the advice.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far as I know no one has swapped (successfully anyhoo) in an 08+ 4.7 into an older one. Supposedly heads and/or cams have been though. You would have to get the throttle body adapter, yours is cable while the newer one is fly-by-wire. You'd have to figure out how to fire two coils (2 plugs per cylinder). Additionally, and I may very well be wrong (and I'm sure someone will point if I am lol) but they may have changed the tooth count on the crank tone wheel, which means having to change it to an older one or attempting to use a newer PCM. You may be able to use an older short block with the newer heads/cams/intake manifold.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
You'd have to find a complete donor truck and basically transfer the systems over. Preferably an 08 because the body style would be the same and it would bolt up. I say if you're going to go through the trouble why not transfer a hemi in? Would be about the same amount of work.

Vytasb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
If the newer 4.7 has to be modded to be as fast as the older Hemi, wouldn't it be easier to find an older Hemi?

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Get a 4.7 rebuild from the same year.
Rebuilds normally are upgraded over stock to address the factory flubs(larger oil passages, better timing components, etc..)

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Go to AIR Ram.com these folks can tell you all you want to know about the 4.7 and what to do .

Frank Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Get a 4.7 rebuild from the same year.
Rebuilds normally are upgraded over stock to address the factory flubs(larger oil passages, better timing components, etc..)

Or consider a brand new, fully machined engine from gearheadengines.com for about $3000. I just put one in my 04 and it's a great engine. All the machine work is done on an old oem block and heads, including the oil troughs, and then built completely with all new parts, and they pay shipping both ways with your returned core. They also give a 3 year warranty. I have 2600 miles on mine now and so far it runs and performs perfectly.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a Jasper Engine they are real good engines.

Frank Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Get a Jasper Engine they are real good engines.

I researched them and found mixed reviews to say the least. From what I was able to determine they leave it up to the repair shop to replace, or rebuild as needed for a fixed price. This means to me, fewer replaced parts means more profit to the shop. I went with gearhead because every part is brand new, installed, and tested by gearhead. The local mechanic just installs the motor, doesn't rebuild it.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I've got 30k/3 years on my rebuild.
No issues. None. As quiet and smooth as can be.
With the original factory goofs corrected, the 4.7 is an awesome engine and will last a very long time. And you'll save like $2.37 a week in gas over a Hemi.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jasper Engines come in short or long block I have a friend who has a Jasper Engine and transmission in his Ford 150 hasn't had a minutes problem.