New to Forum - Shutter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFan215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help! Here's my ownership history: 2003 Ram 1500 4x2 quad cab currently with 117k and I've put on 8k since I purchased it. At the time of purchase I had the trans fluid/filter serviced at a transmission shop and the comments were good to go!

Overall the issues I have seem to be increasing in severity.

1) shutter from rear at take off, more pronounced when making a turn (differential??)

2) Occasional clink from rear when shifting or just before coming to a stop at downshift (U-joint??) no squeaks yet though.

3) a jerky roll when releasing the brake (before acceleration) then smoothes at acceleration (torque converter??)

4) periodic skip at highway speeds....(don't think it is the engine) probably related to the other issues

5) just developed a vibration at 60 mph (not tires....just been balanced)

6) Just has the diff oil checked and its full, but there is a slight leak on the cover....watching it

Thanks for any suggestions!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding 1 and 3. Are your tires cupped? Mine sort of are and I have the same issue. Had same issue on my old truck and after rotation and some wear it was fine. My .02 :)

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
A lot of those symptoms sound like a bad U-joint. I know the last time I had one go out it was bad enough to produce a shudder at highway speed.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome:

I think you need to check your differential u joints especially the rear, and if your rear differential has an limited slip unit (clutches), that could be your problem. Hope this info helps.