Shutter on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. Have been experiencing a shutter lately with some stranger properties I’ll list below. Little bit of a long post but if anyone has any insight into what I could potentially look into I’d love to hear it.

Vehicle info: 2016 1500 Sport 4x4. 124,000km/77,000miles.

For the last 20,000km or so now I will get a rather violent shutter upon acceleration that shakes the entire truck. However it does not happen everyday.

The following is a list of things I have noted how my truck will react to different settings:

1. If I continue to accelerate at the same pace as when the shutter happened it will shutter for 3-5 seconds then go away and my truck will drive as normal.

2. If I let off the gas completely then try to accelerate again the shutter does not come back.

3. If I step on the gas and accelerate even faster the shutter will go away and not come back.

4. The shutter only happens once a day, usually on my morning trip to work and then will not happen again no matter how many times I go out and drive my truck around town/highway and I can not replicate the shutter.

5. Had a mechanic from the dealership go on a 30 minute ride with me first thing in the morning and of course it didn’t shutter. They checked the transmission fluid and said it looked great, not burnt, etc.

Nne1txb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m. Having the same issue, did you ever receive any reply’s?

OP
OP
MoparBrent

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m. Having the same issue, did you ever receive any reply’s?
Nothing yet. The mechanic at the shop dealing with my truck told me to keep driving it until something completely breaks or my transmission grenades since he said it doesn't seem to affect drivability. Not really the response I was looking for.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try shudder fix like lubegard.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what motor and transmission does it have?

His profile suggests the 5.7.

My 5.7 does a very similar thing, except sometimes it will only be once or twice a day and other times it will be every time it accelerates, just depends how cooperative it wants to be. I've changed sensors, cleaned the air intake, done all sorts of research but haven't been able to come up with any one cause, just lots of maybes that would cost a lot to shotgun them all.

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same issue. Its gotten to the point where it happens a few times every drive. Truck is Express Crew CAB 5.7 4x4 2014 with 140,000 miles with a 2" Mopar Lift and 34" tires. I'm dropping it off at the dealer this morning and hope to have a solution for the issue later this week. My driver's side CV axle has a ton of play in it and I'm hoping that is the problem.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having the same issue. Its gotten to the point where it happens a few times every drive. Truck is Express Crew CAB 5.7 4x4 2014 with 140,000 miles with a 2" Mopar Lift and 34" tires. I'm dropping it off at the dealer this morning and hope to have a solution for the issue later this week. My driver's side CV axle has a ton of play in it and I'm hoping that is the problem.

Engine shudder and vibration from the CV are two completely different things. Regardless, let us know what they say, I'm sure it will help someone out.

Auzziesaucy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i have a 2018 Laramie 4x4 w/ 145k miles, with quite a similar issue, but it’s progressed into much more concerning symptoms. Loss of power at full throttle w/ continuous backfiring, and rough shakes when high gear acceleration happens, around 6,7 gear going about 60-70. And manages to stutter while at idle sometimes, or same shakes when going over a bridge trying to maintain 60 mph. Today I checked my intake manifold bolt, the 10 bolts that hold my manifold, and some were loose enough to remove my hand with an extension and socket. I’ve tighten them to what my assumption would be about 7-8 ft-lbs and majority of my shakes seemed to have dissipated. I will try this week to remove the intake manifold and replace all manifold gaskets, but the loose manifold has me in awe, for I’ve put 50k mikes on this truck running fine and never took the manifold loose for any reason. Might be worth checking into, and I can thank another post( new and don’t know hot to pin posts) for pointing it out as a reoccurring issue for some hemi owners.

2010RamBigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been suffering with this for the last 2 years. My truck primarily has this issue around 35-40 mph and under consistent light throttle. If I drive it harder than normal, I have no issues. Sadly, the speed trap during my morning commute courtesy of my local Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane keeps me at 35mph for about 5 miles. I have to accellerate to 42 mph or so for a few seconds, then drop back down to 37mph to keep it from shaking like a 390 hp washing machine with nice wheels. My truck is a 2010 5.7 with the 545rfe. I hope that I am wrong, but after replacing about every engine sensor, plugs, coil caps, and cleaning the throttle body, I am guessing it‘s the torque converter. I felt like my shudder became a bit worse after my last transmission fluid change which I failed to use the OEM fluid.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sooooo, thats kinda similar to mine actually, but wildly different truck....ok maybe not wildly.

2014 1500, 5.7 Hemi with 167k miles - 8 speed transmission.

Mine does it almost always in 5th gear, when feathering the throttle (5-10% to maintain speed). Even with that, it will shudder for a second, then nothing, then 3-5 seconds later shudder again, then nothing. Until Im out of 5th (ish) or start stepping on the gas. It never does it under heavier acceleration. Any thoughts?

With the cost of gas though now....I have a hard time driving it like I stole it, cause then I WILL have to steal some gas!

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad news on my truck. The dealer says it needs a new transmission (i have the ZF 8HP70). They pulled the pan and said the valve body was good but supposedly there is a seal in the transmission that is leaking which is causing the shudder and it'll keep getting worse. The only option is a rebuilt transmission at a cost somewhere between $6,500 (for a Jasper rebuilt with 3 yr warranty) or ~$8k for the rebuilt offering from the dealership. Looks like I'll be ditching the truck for something else. Hopefully its a fluke failure as my wife's Jaguar also has a ZF 8spd transmission and the new Defender we ordered also has it!

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
YIKES! I had my local mechanic put a new pan on with Valvoline Max Life and a tube of Shudder Fixx. 2014 Ram with the ZF 8HP70 and 112k miles. I'm picking my truck up today and hope that after 50 miles or so my symptoms disappear. I can't imagine paying $6-8k for a new transmission, but with the cost of new/used trucks, that might be my best option since my truck only has 112k miles and I've added new tires, headers, Bilsteins, sway bar, UCAs, end links all in the last couple years:( My mechanic did tell me he saw a lot of silver in the OEM pan he removed:(

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sooooo, thats kinda similar to mine actually, but wildly different truck....ok maybe not wildly.

2014 1500, 5.7 Hemi with 167k miles - 8 speed transmission.

Mine does it almost always in 5th gear, when feathering the throttle (5-10% to maintain speed). Even with that, it will shudder for a second, then nothing, then 3-5 seconds later shudder again, then nothing. Until Im out of 5th (ish) or start stepping on the gas. It never does it under heavier acceleration. Any thoughts?

With the cost of gas though now....I have a hard time driving it like I stole it, cause then I WILL have to steal some gas!
read the thread, does it do it in tow haul? It sounds like your issue is low rpm shudder as well.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Picked up my truck today after the transmission fluid change. Felt some shuddering and hard shifts for about 20 miles or so, and then the truck started shifting like butter. I bought the truck in 2019 with 70,000 miles, and this is the smoothest the truck has ever shifted since I bought it. Hopefully it's not just a temporary fix, but we shall see!
Those with the 8-speed transmission and over 50,000 miles, CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's what worked for me as well. My case was a little as it shuttered when new, so for me it was moving to a different liquid then oem. Like I said in this thread or the other, "smoke and mirrors" usually fixes transmision shudder. No need to tear apart a transmission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. Have been experiencing a shutter lately with some stranger properties I’ll list below. Little bit of a long post but if anyone has any insight into what I could potentially look into I’d love to hear it.

Vehicle info: 2016 1500 Sport 4x4. 124,000km/77,000miles.

For the last 20,000km or so now I will get a rather violent shutter upon acceleration that shakes the entire truck. However it does not happen everyday.

The following is a list of things I have noted how my truck will react to different settings:

1. If I continue to accelerate at the same pace as when the shutter happened it will shutter for 3-5 seconds then go away and my truck will drive as normal.

2. If I let off the gas completely then try to accelerate again the shutter does not come back.

3. If I step on the gas and accelerate even faster the shutter will go away and not come back.

4. The shutter only happens once a day, usually on my morning trip to work and then will not happen again no matter how many times I go out and drive my truck around town/highway and I can not replicate the shutter.

5. Had a mechanic from the dealership go on a 30 minute ride with me first thing in the morning and of course it didn’t shutter. They checked the transmission fluid and said it looked great, not burnt, etc.
You need to have access to a flight recorder. This is a tool which plugs into your ALDC port where the scanner would be connected. This should be installed EVERY time you drive until the problem occurs and the data can be reviewed WHEN the malady occurs.

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm picking up the truck this week. They may have changed the fluid after diagnosing the issue if so i'll report back whether the new fluid has improved the symptoms. I did ask about adding lubeguard. That said i'm not sure a fluid change would have helped my issue however i'm also not sure if my dealer actually knows what the issue is or just told me a new transmission was the fix....they've had my truck for 5 weeks! Per Mopar these transmissions have a "lifetime" fluid and filter which is BS. The transmission manufacturer ZF I believe recommends changing around every ~60k miles; BMW and Jaguar define "lifetime" as 100k miles or 8 years for their ZF transmissions. My wife's Jaguar is at ~90k miles and we'll be changing her ZF fluid soon.

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what worked for me as well. My case was a little as it shuttered when new, so for me it was moving to a different liquid then oem. Like I said in this thread or the other, "smoke and mirrors" usually fixes transmision shudder. No need to tear apart a transmission.
I've also had a "shudder" for a long time....since before the warranty expired. I just went back through my service records and found one from 2019 at 68000 miles when i'd brought the truck in for this exact issue and dealer told me nothing was wrong. I'm going to be reaching our to ram cares i think this is the same issue and should have been handled under my 100k warranty. We'll see if i get anywhere

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4