Overdrive jumps in and out on freeway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys
So I've only had my 07 Ram 1500 4x4 for about 3 weeks now, it's running a 4.7L flex fuel, automatic transmission.
I've noticed that while on the freeway doing around 60-70 mph the overdrive will jump in and out randomly.
I can be driving down a slight incline or on a flat road at around 60mph, putting no pressure in the accelerator and it will still jump in and out of overdrive. It will jump from 5th to 4th to 3rd and cycle back up and down 4 or 5 times or even more before it settles back into overdrive.

Is this a case of needed a service and maybe changing the governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor or is it a deeper problem than this?

OP
OP
D

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bump
Has no one had any issues with overdrive hopping in and out at around 60mph, flat road, no acceleration?

Well any transmission experts out there? Can you tell me what triggers the transmission to kick down (from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd)? I've read that there are several things that trigger this, input output speed sensors, overdrive lockup solenoid and even the throttle positioning sensor is this correct?
Any help will be appreciated.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not an expert, but when ive had that happen with my truck the trans is on its way out. I take it your not throwing codes?

OP
OP
D

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At this point I've had no code's come up.

pphickey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l flex
Mine was doing this. Changed the TPS and it solved the problem.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First thing I did was check the fluids, levels are good and there is no burnt smell so I assume the box is still good as everything else works fine with smooth gear changes.
I will change out the TPS this weekend and let ya all know if it fix's it. I read through a lot of forums recently and many different vehicles with the same drive line configuration have the same issue which was fixed by changing out the TPS.

OP
OP
D

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K
Had some time today so changed out my TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) and what a difference!!!
Truck doesn't jump in and out of overdrive anymore, has a smoother idle and seems to be better on gas (only done about 75 mile so little early to tell but will keep an eye on it).
Many thanks all for your input my truck is fixed.

OP
OP
D

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just an update.
After about a week of driving the issue had not happened again.
As an added bonus I've gained about 2mpg in fuel economy.
Also I put a short how to fix it video together if anyone else has a similar issue.

hqdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEX-zZnYdI

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990