PCM reflash problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
03 ram 1500 SXT-Hemi
Short story, installed the DSP U7137 and tried to adjust my tire size using "Quick Adjust" and threw a ABS warning light. Diablo was no help and I restored the original tune and took it to the dealer and had the PCM updated and ABS reset. The dealer said they were unable to install the new PCM version number. Re-installed the DSP with an updated Crom, Used "Quick Adjust" to set tires and got a ABS warning light again. Took it back the dealer to reflash PCM and reset ABS. Dealer says the Diablo tuner has my PCM elocked making it impossible for them to properly reflash. Does Diablo leave residual code in the PCM even after restoring original tune? What does it take to completely un-install the Diablo?
My question is; Has Diablo screwed up my PCM preventing the dealer from reflashing or is the dealer blowing smoke?

Getting a weee bit frustrated with this.....

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I would lean towards beleiving the Dealer Greg. About a year ago my SC3714 Vin Locked and I contacted SC and they said my machine was prolly toast and offered me a trade in program. Anyhow they recommended I get the PCM reflashed by the dealer to make sure the unit was back to stock as there was no way of knowing what tune it was jammed on (was switching to Tow when it cooked). So the dealer reflashed it no problem and updated with some new trans and idle stuff Dodge had come up with on the 03 since DOM. They did tell me there were two procedures (can't remember exactly) but it would cost more cause it took more time but wouldn't know until they hooked her up. In the end they only charged me the lower 57 bucks instesd of 80 and it took the guy almost an hour.

Dealer says the Diablo tuner has my PCM elocked making it impossible for them to properly reflash.
So I would tell this to Diablo and worst case they should custom erase there crap outta there, but seeing your goin SC they may not bother with you. So why did you reload DSP? were you hoping a load / unload Drill would maybe remove that Crom thingy? Alternatively you could return the trucks PCM to stock with the DSP and load your SC (assuming you have it now) with a tune and pretend you never went to the dealer, then clear the CEL if its still there, and if it don't work return the SC to stock which should put you back at least to where you stand now.

Does Diablo leave residual code in the PCM even after restoring original tune? What does it take to completely un-install the Diablo?
Again, you need to ask this to your buddies at Diablo. My 2 cents, Good Luck, and keep us Posted as some of us SC guys may want to custom tune some day but am getting leary bout the U7137.

Last edited:

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer says the Diablo tuner has my PCM elocked making it impossible for them to properly reflash.

I think the dealer is blowing you off. Sometimes they refuse to touch a vehicle if they know that it is modded, they don't wanna be responsible for anything. A computer is a computer, if the PCM software is somehow corrupted/locked, they can run a master reflash, no matter what.

As for your abs problem, have you tried taking the truck to the dealer with the factory tune on it and having them adjust the tire size? It would be interesting to see if that causes an ABS light.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I think the dealer is blowing you off. Sometimes they refuse to touch a vehicle if they know that it is modded, they don't wanna be responsible for anything. A computer is a computer, if the PCM software is somehow corrupted/locked, they can run a master reflash, no matter what.

As for your abs problem, have you tried taking the truck to the dealer with the factory tune on it and having them adjust the tire size? It would be interesting to see if that causes an ABS light.

I agree ^^^^ The dealers flash will override any tuning from any tuner you have in there. That is why if you are in need of taking it to the dealer for any work you need to remove the tuning if possible as it will be removed if they reflash it and will lock you out of your tuner. In this case the dealer is taking you for a ride, NOT diablo. Hope you get it worked out man.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive always heard that both DSP and SC leave residual stuff in the PCM even after you return it to stock tune.

if it turns out the dealerships actually cant work with your PCM, you can get a new one, programmed to your truck and all for about $200. check out Welcome to Solo Automotive Electronics those guys are legit. i put in my order at about 10 am, and had my PCM the next day. they even called me to verify all the info. you will need to give them vin # and mileage.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
200 for a newly flashed PCM is a steal. Goos luck va and let us know what you find out.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I was told by head mechanic at our shop that newer PCMs particularly on the diesels can remember up to 10 individual tunes that were loaded on to the truck to prevent warranty scamming. Even if you had reset the truck back to stock with the programmer the would be proof that there was a tune loaded and then denied warranty.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Remember guys my truck is a 03 with the first version of the NGC.

Monday update: Went to the dealer and went over all the work done with the Technician and Service Manager. Basically came down to, my truck is operating correctly without any DTC's. The Diablo will load into the truck as proven after the first PCM reflash. I have not tried to reload it after the second reflash which was more of a update check than an actual reflash. Only the SC3865 has a problem with the loading. Jason from SC called to let me know the technicians are working on my problem and I updated him with the information from the dealer. He said he will get back to me in a couple days. Here is some information the dealer gave me about the PCM reflash with StarScan. The Tech plugs into the truck and StarScan checks for updates, if it is determined there is an update available then it is installed. Older PCM versions cannot be installed. The PCM cannot be cleaned and reflashed. There is apparently a very thin line between an operational PCM and it being a paper wieght. I am not 100% convinced and will seek a second opinion at another dealer. But as it stands, there are no DTC's meaning the the different modules are properly identifing one another and are communicating. So the problem now looks to be with the SC3865.

ALso, MikeL from Diablo stated on the DSP support forum that there is no residual code left in a PCM once the tuner is removed.

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
With the newer trucks there could be a possibility of it leaving a residual code (the 09's were thought to have it but they do not the last I heard). Anything older wont leave anything in there.

I hope you get it all worked out VA

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
i have uploaded my Tuner files to SuperChips and they are working through them to come up with a solution. Should be a day or two.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I had a paperweight PCM at on time with a Hypertec programer, luckly my local dealer hooked me up with a new PCM. Then dodge closes them a few years later after we had bought 5 cars and trucks from them.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
ive always heard that both DSP and SC leave residual stuff in the PCM even after you return it to stock tune.

if it turns out the dealerships actually cant work with your PCM, you can get a new one, programmed to your truck and all for about $200. check out Welcome to Solo Automotive Electronics those guys are legit. i put in my order at about 10 am, and had my PCM the next day. they even called me to verify all the info. you will need to give them vin # and mileage.

Thanks,
Turns out the cost for a rebuilt PCM for the 03 is $250 + shipping. If you want a 1 year warranty, you have to return your core (shipping) or if you want a life time warranty it is another $50. So the price is $275 - $325. eBay also has PCM available for a little lower price $200 free shipping. Just comparing prices.