PCM Problems, 2003 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sentnc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2500, 2wd
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you in advance for your help.

I have inherited my dad's 2003, 2500 series Ram with a Hemi. It has 52,000 miles on it, always been garaged, never driven in snow/salt. Like NEW. A few years ago it started having the check engine light on. My maintenance mechanic apparantly didnt want to deal with it, and just kept resetting the PCM to pass inspection. It would occasionally idle rough and somethimes run rough going down the road. Usually a restart would solve the issue. (I know i should of dealt with it then!). Has a new battery!

This spring I get it out of my shop and virtually all the dash warning lights are on and the battery wont charge. I obviously changed the alternator like an idiot and wasted my money. Took it to a professional mechanic i trust, and he plugged it in and it had one code (like an idiot i didnt write it down) and he said it was likely the PCM.

I got a reconditioned PCM, and same situation. So ive begun checking what i can from what ive gotten off the internet. Checked what grounds i can find, checked wiring continuity for power frrom battery to alternator, to PCM all seem ok. Checked the fusible link to the alternator, OK. I metered the alternator pigtail from the PCM and no voltage (ive ordered a new pigtail connector to replace the old one just in case the connector is the issue, had that problem before with other vehicles).

Since i have all my idiot lights on in my dash, i think that PCM condition is related to my no charging but i cant figure out if a sensor going bad would throw it into a No-charging condition, or make ALL my dash warning lights to go on. I Suspect a bad ground somewhere, and I plan on finding more grounds to check, but the PCM case is grounded (meter continuity check). Hoping someone here can help. I am scared to take it to a dealer, and dont think they would help.

Thank you again

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is my advice.
Take the TIPM out and open every harness connector. Hit all the connections with dielectric grease. Reassemble and see what happens.

I had a 2005 Ram 1500 that would just go into 4WD all on its own among other nutty electrical things. The above procedure solved it. Moisture does nutty things to these Rams!