Problem Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2005 is giving me a problem:
5.7 Hemi
5sp auto
4wd
Canada
Its not throwing any codes, no dash light anyhow.

when I am driving it seems fine until I get it fully warmed up, on the hyw and set the cruise at 90-100kph
Faster still happens but its less pronounced slower also less pronounced, I can only feel it in high gear. It may be happening in 4th but I don't think so.
its fine on flat ground or downhill but if headed up a slight hill where the CC is applying throttle to keep speed (but not so much it downshifts) it starts to do something hard to describe. When I first felt it I thought I was just hitting frost lines in the road, but then I realized that was not it. Imagine a garden hose laying across the road, when you hit it you just feel a 'bump' but of course in the case of road debris you feel it twice for front and back wheels, this is only once.
Its getting worse, its not CC I can replicate it myself if I am careful on throttle application.
I don't think its Trans its very abrupt too fast for a disengage/reengage of a band or anything. I was thinking maybe the convertor lockup slipping, but that should not come back in hard, it should be a smooth re-engage I think.
The RPM on the tack does not change.
I was talking with one person and he thinks its ignition, like a cracked/bad coil that is slowly giving out. Under heavy load at a specific RPM he thinks its misfiring.
But no codes, a bad coil should be throwing codes right?
A slipping Torque convertor should be throwing codes right??
As it is getting worse, the length of time where I feel like there is no power is increasing, at first and most of the time it was like a few hundredths of a sec, now some of the 'events' are perhaps 1/10 sec.
seems most pronounced at 1800-2000 RPM, I guess my main question is, would the ECU not detect a partially failing coil and thus not thro a code.

any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would download the service manual and read a little about specific conditions in which codes are generated. Misfire codes if I remember correctly are generated under 1800rpm with engine above 160 degree's. And is caused by engine sudden rpm (stumble) change with the cam sensor indicating the associated cylinder. I would lean toward spark plugs breaking down under slight (lean) load conditions. Next I'd check the MAP sensor, then clean and inspect TB for good measure. How do your waste plug high tension wires look?

OP
OP
D

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would download the service manual and read a little about specific conditions in which codes are generated. Misfire codes if I remember correctly are generated under 1800rpm with engine above 160 degree's. And is caused by engine sudden rpm (stumble) change with the cam sensor indicating the associated cylinder. I would lean toward spark plugs breaking down under slight (lean) load conditions. Next I'd check the MAP sensor, then clean and inspect TB for good measure. How do your waste plug high tension wires look?

Ok, I like your description it fits since I don't think I have ever felt it under 1800 so in theory a misfire above 1800 would not thro a code.
I plan if I can to look at everything in the ignition system soon, I have not been under the hood more than taking a look in the dark for lighting.
I had the plugs checked last time it was in the shop, the mech only pulled the 8 easy ones and said they looked new. I only have had the truck about 12000 km now.

I am going to pull all 16 and pull and examine the coils for damage as well as inspect the wires closely. Hoping for decent weather :)

will look for a DL for manual and see about code conditions as well.
I assume what your calling "waste plug tension wires" is just the plug wires that are for the 8 that are on wires rather than under the coils?

Thanx