Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monroefiredog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Everyone,

I have been a visitor on here for a pretty good while, just reading and learning. But now I have an issue I need help with. I purchased a 08 ram with a 4.7, automatic, 4 door, short bed.I purchased it from a small town, it was the city's police chief's truck previously, then they just used it for running here or there. It never was used for a patrol vehicle. It had 155,500 miles when I purchased it, now it has 167,000 miles. It had a tick that I assumed was a lifter when I got it. It has been a great truck, until about 3 weeks ago I was going down the road and the check engine light came on. When I got home I scanned it and, I forgot the code, but it was saying bad catalytic converter. I cleared the code and it still was running fine.

Then about a week ago, I start it up and it is skipping like a broke legged dog! So I scanned it again, PO302 Cylinder 2 misfire, PO300 Random Misfire. So I thought it was the coil, ordered a coil, put it on and no change. So I pulled the #2 plugs, both look good, but were gas fouled. I swapped the top plugs and coils around, didn't change anything, I did not swap the bottom plugs around. I know this engine has 16 plugs, but I don't understand why or how that works. The tick that it has, after listening with a stethoscope, is coming from #2 cylinder I think. After listening to it with a stethoscope, I am not sure it is a lifter. It sounds more like something on top of the piston, maybe. I erased the codes and now it is showing just a PO300 Random misfire, but it is still #2 that is not firing. I think I need to pull the vale cover to see if there are any clues there. Any ideas of what it could possibly be?

I appreciate and suggestions and ideas.

think I need to pull the valve cover and see if there are any clues there. Is this possibly a bad injector? Any ideas on what else to check?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat